Want advice on using Ninjas and Superspies with 2nd edition

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Want advice on using Ninjas and Superspies with 2nd edit

Unread post by Glistam »

Personally, I wouldn't use it. It's a great game on its own but outside of its own setting it does become very unbalancing. A few times now Palladium's done conversions of a sort to make elements of it fit within their grander Megaverse (Rifts Conversion Book 1 Revised, Rifts: Japan and Rifts: China), but these conversions have only served to contradict each other and the source material, and in all cases they were incomplete.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

There are several really good hand to hands done in Rifts japan and the china books. Those are what we use. Otherwise we look at the conversion book and see what is needed. As for balance, that's the GM's job.
ImageImage
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Meh these are supposed to be good HTH styles that outperform most. Simple fix, just add 2 attacks to all starting attacks. Done.

If that means you get 5 or 6, so be it. As GM just be sure to make sure you put the appropriate limits on them since they do take time to learn and depending on the character they better have a damn good explanation as to how hey get some of the more exotic or specialized/elite martial arts. However you will find that most of the HTH styles will just end up with 3-5 to start so it isn't all that bad. Everything else is usable more or less as is, in my opinion.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I really enjoy N&SS, but I personally find all Palladium games are best used as stand alone games OR with players who are totally mellow and understand that things may need to be tweaked.

Also, I don't add the 2 attacks/actions. I don't find it adds to the combat, just to the complication. But for me, RPG combat is all about speed and cinematics.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Before I dive into this, I'd first like to ask...

Is there anything you want from Ninjas and Super Spies™ that you cannot already do using Rifts®: China and/or Rifts®: Japan?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Check conversion book 1 revised they have a section on N&S
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

calto40k wrote:Check conversion book 1 revised they have a section on N&S

I agree.... Conversion book is the best place to start on any....Shock..... conversions....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

just add +2 apm to the MAFs.
If you choose to allow HU characters to select MAFs (I would suggest only allowing non-powered classes to do so) require a skill investment of at least one skill package. (I would charge two or three for certain ones like tien su and ninjitsu).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

You don't have to add two attacks to the N&SS martial arts if you replace the HU2 combat skills (basic, expert, martial arts and assassin) with the "Agent" martial arts from N&SS. Now everyone will be "on the same page", so to speak. The only class this doesn't benefit is the Physical Training power category.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

kojax wrote:That is a good question to ask. Thanks for asking it.

What I'm going for is I want to do a Heroes Unlimited campaign that has all the OC's of Ninjas and Superspies in it. I like the idea of mutants facing off against secret agents, or teaming up with them, ... etc. I'm going for a world where the CIA, MI6 and groups like that openly recruit mutants, aliens, and etc. The mutants aren't necessarily trained spies (unless they choose spy skills from within the Heroes Unlimited game), but they get hired by MI6 and work alongside spies in the field.

So the martial arts aspect of Ninjas isn't really too important to me. The OC's are what I'm after.

I watched the entire series of "MI-5" (The BBC show) on Netflix, and all of a sudden I really want to play out the kinds of scenarios I saw on that show, except with Mutants and stuff. It's also inspired in part by watching the Venture Brothers cartoon series, which has all of that blended pretty well in it. That's what motivated me to go out and get Ninjas and Superspies, as well as Mystic China. I thought they would give me a good foundation for spy campaigns. (If I can make them compatible with Heroes)

No problem. So we are talking an S.D.C. setting. Good to know. Now, I don't have the time to write a proper reply (its 3:05am here and I have a game to run in a few hours) but I don't know if this helps or not, but there are some secret agent/spy O.C.C.s for heroes unlimited in one of the books already. I believe the super soldier can specifically cover these things? Its in Powers Unlimited 2? (I think?) I am not sure. Heroes Unlimited isn't my strong suite and I'd have to go digging through books. That said, if you can find the pre-existing super spy (not the one in Rifts), then you won't need to convert anything. Just use the "type" of O.C.C.s from N&S as "inspiration" when picking your skills and designing the organization. I find that the "key" to being a successful game master is making as little work for you as possible and utilizing material that already exists in a flexible a way as possible. Given the flexibility of Heroes Unlimited, you could REALLY replicate the other O.C.C.s without needing to adapt or convert anything. I hope what I have said here has helped somewhat.

I was very rushed. Please let me know how it goes and how everything unfolds. I'll check back tomorrow night after my game and help further if needed. :ok:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

kojax wrote:I like the idea of sacrificing a whole skill package. That sounds fair to me.

For Tien Su and Ninjitsu it will require some thought. 2 skill programs instead of one sounds fair. But I want to make sure they take some espionage skills to go with it if they're going to be Ninjas. Or maybe I could choose one of the education levels on the "education table" and turn it into "Ninja". So you can only get Ninjitsu if you roll that level. (4 years college, and Bachelor's degree seem kind of redundant, so maybe eliminate one of them.)
No need for "additional" skills...
The MAFs come prepackaged with skills.
One thing to remember about N&Ss MAFs is that they really are full Skill packages in their own right.
When you take a MAF you get everything that comes with it.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Keep the +1d4 to PP. The versions of skills in games like N&SS and TMNT are unique to their settings so you have to go to that dimension to learn them (or possibly could learn that version from a traveler who learned it there). We are not mandated to 'update' old skill stats to the versions from newer games like Dead Reign or RUE.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

The problem you get with that is the old version of my character, where I could never be sneak attacked, had +15 to strike hand to hand, 13 attacks per melee, +16 on initiative, 582 MDC and could boost my stats to silly heights on the fly...

Not a godling, not a dragon in disguise, as a human (15 character levels, but still...)

It's much more balanced now.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

How did you manage to give yourself MDC when chi only adds SDC?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

My bigger question is how did he have 13 APM when at best I think you can hit 8 maybe 9 in N&SS since the APM and bonuses from 2 MAFs do not stack and are only applicable when using the specified form?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

jaymz wrote:My bigger question is how did he have 13 APM when at best I think you can hit 8 maybe 9 in N&SS since the APM and bonuses from 2 MAFs do not stack and are only applicable when using the specified form?
Moo Gi Gong and Hrwang Do being the exceptions to this rule... (But even then they only add up to at best +8 or 9. IIRC)
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Shao-Lin is also an exception (with weapon forms) as is Lee Kwan Choo...

WHY AM I GIVING AWAY MY SECRETS
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

MDC might have something to with body harding I thaght that chi powers half sdc as mdc in rifts.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Chi powers do 1/2 damage to MDC beings. There's two ways to interpret that:

*a 200 damage chi attack will destroy 1 MDC
*a 200 damage chi attack will destroy 100 MDC

The former literal reading prevents chi from heavily influencing MDC settings, which it logically would do.

The latter (possibly closer to intention but less literal, since it doesn't mention changing damage to MD) lets chi-attackers go crazy though.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Tor wrote:Keep the +1d4 to PP. The versions of skills in games like N&SS and TMNT are unique to their settings so you have to go to that dimension to learn them (or possibly could learn that version from a traveler who learned it there). We are not mandated to 'update' old skill stats to the versions from newer games like Dead Reign or RUE.
I see it as the fact that they have the advantage of living in a civilized world where you can find a brilliant coach. In Rifts or other MDC environments the PP is far less meaningful. Your dodges and parries are minimally effective vs energy weapons given the penalties. Even with the initiative bonus for absurd PP you aren't getting much. Buffing PS to be able to use support weapons helps survival far more.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”