One a Day: The A to Z of Cryptozoology (Palladium Style)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

One a Day: The A to Z of Cryptozoology (Palladium Style)

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Presented for your Approval…
Legendary Beasts
by Liam Gray

One of my earliest memories from my childhood was watching a documentary about dinosaurs featuring a bit on Mokèlé-mbèmbé, so I have always had a real fascination with monsters – from the grim-beasties of the silver screen to the enigmatic creatures that lurk yet-undiscovered in the darkened corners of the world. In fact, such was my obsession with cryptozoology that over the years I have gone to great lengths to learn as much as I possibly can about all manner of creature great and small (both real and imagined) and built up a rather modest library on the topic. Though, for me at least half the fun has always been in the hunt...

So why not combine two of my greatest passions – the Palladium Megaverse™ and Cryptozoology?

After all, there has already been some precedent already with Sasquatch and Ogopogo appearing in Rifts® World Book 20: Canada and the Chupacabra appearing in Rifts®: Vampire Kingdom (Revised), just to name a few. So here it is, a fun jaunt through the A to Z of my favorite cryptids and those who hunt them!

I am posting this as a thread rather than submitting it as an article or manuscript because frankly, it got a bit big and out of hand. I had reached about 30 of these guys by the time I had made it to E; and this was with me specifically excluding all of the different variations on Bigfoot!. Plus, I figured it'd be fun having something like this on the board to showcase what I can do for the fans. I will be adding the Monster Hunting O.C.C.s later, along with what the bones and bodies of these cryptids can be used for by Necromancers and the aforementioned character classes.

List of Cryptids (A–Z)
Spoiler:
Adjule (07/04/2014): A strange red wolf native to remote deserts. Their very presence causes great discord and unrest in nearby communities.
Ahool (08/04/2014): A monstrous bat-like ape that lurks in deep jungles and feeds on carrion and unwary travelers. The males of the species are known to excavate graves and prey on the undead.
Batsquatch – Bear-Wolf R.C.C (09/04/2014): A terrifying bear-like simian with the head of a wolf and the wings of a bat that frightens people away from unseen dangers.
Beast of Bladenboro (10/04/2014): An enigmatic feline predator that seems to appear out of nowhere, hunt and vanish just as mysteriously. The Beast of Bladenboro (or "Vampire Beast") is a dangerous feline predator with no fear of men but a deep hatred of canines.
Churubusco Turtle (11/04/2014): A heavily armored transdimensional snapping turtle approximately the size of a small bull.

Psychic Abilities Common to Mythical Beasts:
Spoiler:
The following are special psi-powers sometimes possessed by mythical beasts. Although in function some largely resemble the Phase-Powers of the Promethean R.C.C. they are exclusive to these legendary beasts. For ease of reference I will detail them below and list them under the Psychic Powers category where applicable.

Alter Memory – Mythical Creature
Range: 2,000 feet (609.6 m) radius.
Duration: Permanent.
I.S.P. Cost: None.
Saving Throw: 16 or higher; illusion.
The creature exudes a potent aura that creates a powerful sense of disbelief in anyone perceiving signs of its existence. To anyone within a 2,000 foot (609.6 m) radius that fails their saving throw, the mythical creature simply does not exist. All senses whether magical or mundane simply refuse to detect the creature or its presence even if it is standing right in front of them. If the rational mind cannot dismiss the existence of the creature (i.e. if it is attacking or putting their life in danger, etc.) they will perceive the creature as a more mundane creature or something else entirely. The aura is so potent that it interferes with electronic devices and even witnessing the beast from outside of its range or happening upon traces of the animal carries a residual effect. Mechanically speaking, anyone who catches a long distance glimpse of the beast or stumbles across evidence of its existence (tracks, droppings, eyewitness accounts, etc.) is capable of perceiving the evidence but must make a saving throw or will still refuse to believe it relates to the mythical creature. Their rational mind will compel them to attribute the evidence to a logical explanation ("These are the tracks of a bear, this scat is too damaged to determine what it is – it could belong to anything", etc.). Those without these facilities will simply stubbornly refuse to believe their own senses or refuse to investigate it beyond a preliminary glance.
At the time of the creature’s death these effects wane, although they do not vanish completely. This often leads to their physical components being mislabeled or attributed to other creatures by alchemists and other men of magic. Consequently, there is always a high demand for these components. However, many (most) men of magic consider them artificially created alchemical components rather than the actual physical components harvested from living creatures. Even so, whether the practitioner of magic believes the creature is real flesh and blood or not, they will be able to determine the components are authentic with a simple Lore: Magic roll (“Ahh, the antlers of a Jackalope. These are rare – you must be a very skilled alchemist.”).

Blur
Range: Self.
Duration: One minute per level of experience.
I.S.P. Cost: 4.
Saving Throw: 12 or higher; none for technology.
The creature becomes a blurry and indistinct shape that only vaguely resembles its former self. Those who make their saving throw vs illusion (12 or higher) will see the creature as normal and not even realize the ability has been used. While those who fail failing their saving throw that suffer a -2 penalty to strike the creature in close combat and making a “Called Shot” is practically impossible (-10 to strike) and those using ranged or modern weapons count as “Shooting Wild” (-6 to strike; called shots are not possible). Furthermore, cameras, electronic devices and other technologies designed to record a visual image of the creature will always result in unsatisfactory blurry images. Note: This ability immediately ceases to function if the creature is bound or restrained.

Escape Restraints
Duration: Instant.
I.S.P. Cost: 10 or 20 if the restrains is a mega-damage construct.
Saving Throw: None.
The creature has the otherworldly ability to escape conventional bonds. Smaller animals might chew through ropes with supernatural speed while larger animals might simply tear themselves free. Using this ability counts as two of the beast’s attacks/actions per melee. After which, the creature is free it from any physical restraint and the object is destroyed (Bolas snap, nets tear, mega-damage handcuffs shatter, etc.). Note: This does not free the creature from all conventional traps, merely restraints. So a pit trap or large cage will work just fine. As would the Carpet of Adhesion or Magic Net invocations.

Slip Mystic Bonds
Duration: Permanent.
I.S.P. Cost: None.
Saving Throw: Not applicable.
The mythic creature is immune to all forms of magical restraint, mind control, scrying, summoning, supernatural barriers and physical transformation. Including but not limited to: Carpet of Adhesion, Magic Net, Seal (latches will pop and doors will just fly open under their own power), Trance, Sleep, Influence the Beast, Force Bonds, Petrification, Bottomless Pit, Null Sphere, Shadow Wall, Impenetrable Wall of Force or Void.
Essentially, any spell, psionic power, or supernatural force that would render the creature helpless will fail when used against the beast and any P.P.E. or I.S.P. is expended as normal but fail to function as expected. Perhaps a Bottomless Pit spell does not appear where expected or the creature just hops innocently through the Carpet of Adhesion as if it didn’t exist at all. Furthermore, although the creature is not immune to the damage or knockback inflicted by telekinetic/force attacks they are impervious to all forms of telekinetic restraint and barriers; passing through them as if they do not exist. Note: This immunity does not extend to technological illusions (such as those projected by holograms) or conventional traps. Even a simple pit trap will work just fine if you’re lucky or clever enough.
Last edited by Akashic Soldier on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: One a Day: The A to Z of Cryptozoology (Palladium Style)

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

other ones from the books we have already..
Mokele-mbembe : Rifts WB4 africa (a prosauropod like Plateosaurus)
Agogwe : rifts WB4 africa
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Akashic Soldier
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:other ones from the books we have already..
Mokele-mbembe : Rifts WB4 africa (a prosauropod like Plateosaurus)
Agogwe : rifts WB4 africa

Yup, I knew those guys. I was going to leave the Agogwe alone (the same for the Aswang) and maybe do them later, but I plan on updating Mokey to bring his stats inline with modern dinosaurs. I will also make them poisonous to reflect the fact that the original legends say that when the flesh was eaten many in the tribe perished. I am really looking forward to it but M is still a while off. :D

I've added the Ahool.

EDIT: To the people who have contacted me and asked me if they can use these for Beyond the Supernatural, the answer is "Yes, of course you can." However, I am not that familiar with the line. I've already included A.R., Hit Points and S.D.C. in the stats for when these creatures appear on low-magic worlds. I simply recommend converting the M.D. to S.D.C. damage on a one for one basis or using the creature's supernatural P.S. attribute (whichever is greater).
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Batsquatch

One of my personal favorites. Its like Heavy Metal and Bigfoot had an illegitimate child – THE BATSQUATCH!

To review the stats and description of these great beasts, refer to the spoilers in the initial post. They're also an "OPTIONAL" Player Character because "RIFTS".
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Update

Added:
Beast of Bladenboro (10/04/2014)
Churubusco Turtle (11/04/2014)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Batsquatch

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Akashic Soldier wrote:They're also an "OPTIONAL" Player Character because "RIFTS".

The best explanation for anything on these forums, even the SDC ones.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Re: Batsquatch

Alrik Vas wrote:The best explanation for anything on these forums, even the SDC ones.

Thanks man. Just giving the heads up, I have "real life" work related deadline stuff, I'm crook, and I have to still finish prepping for this weekend's game so I am going to fall behind on this for a few days. I will be sure to upload a few to make up for it (maybe Monday?).
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Please lock this thread. Unfortunately, other work demands are preventing me from taking the time I require to finish this. I apologize to the two of you who were waiting for more but life happens and family comes first. I can't keep dedicating so much of my free time to volunteer projects and my hobbies (unfortunately). Thank you for understanding.

Return to “Rifts®”