Fondest Experience in a Palladium RPG

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Fondest Experience in a Palladium RPG

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

We've all got fun stories. Please feel free to share. Lets get some positive conversation going.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Re: Fondest Experience in a Palladium RPG

Unread post by Razzinold »

I wouldn't say this is my fondest, but it is one that comes to mind right away.

So we were making camp, I was a PA pilot from Triax/NGR and I think the other guy did some kind of line magic (at this point we had already been experimented on and I now had a guyver unit and he a zololord crystal), and we heard some noises. We investigate the noise and we find all kinds of CS hardware in various states of repair.

We managed to snag a few rifles and pistols that look serviceable and as for the vehicle that still functioned was the Deaths Head Transport (GM rolled really bad in our favour, 2 natural 20's in a row and then gave us a two percent chance that it would be functional and he rolled 100% lol). So as we start to celebrate about 100 or so skelebots show up. Apparently they were there to demolish all the equipment (instead of hauling it back to the nearest CS friendly state). So the three of us make a break for the Transport (our gm had a GMPC in the game since it was just the two of us) and the gm's character looses his footing and goes down. I was the one that was closer to him so I helped him up. So my buddy Darren (the line mage/Zololord) got to the controls first. He manages to get the thing started up and rise up about 20 feet or so in the air. He doesn't know how to fly it or use the weapons and by now the skelebots start opening fire so it's roll initiative time.
The order went Skelebots, Darren, Me, GM's PC.
They start blasting away so Paul turns to his brother and says "what do you do?"
Darren smiles and said back "I turn it off"
So the Death's Head drops the 20 feet crushing all the Skelebots and all 3 of us were laughing like crazy. It should have been some awesome epic battle and it was over before the first round of combat was finished.

We ended up keeping it, we paid and operator to remove the self destruct and transponder, and we detonated it along with the stock pile of stuff so the CS would think that the Skelebots did it.

We moved to a town and built an sdc building around it to hide it and used it as the town entrance.
Worked out rather well because we eventually had to bail pretty quickly so we loaded up as many people as we could save and just took off right through the flimsy roof/walls.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Operation Dead Lift

A mixed merc group is hired to evacuate a town being sieged by skull-heads. They have VTOL transports and a small field on the town's north side set as the LZ. Five squads of mercs, some have psychics, there are a few casters but the majority of them are troopers of various specialties. the leader is a Grackletooth with a bionic-replacement lower jaw, don't remember the chomper's name.

CS is deployed around the town, most of the folks have retreated to an ore refinery (the reason the town exists at all, the owner/operator hired the mercs to do this extraction job). Transports fire tinsel, pop flares as CS missiles close in. Decoy transport gets gutted by plasma SRM's, the rest of the VTOL's make landing.

The dead-head officer is a real cowboy, sends skelebots in a charge, gung-ho for humanity, son.

Mercs out of the fliers, start to ferry refugees out of the plant, metal chomper the grakletooth wants my unit to clear the last houses, the plant operator says there's stagglers in town.

Bummer.

Me, Alrik, kind of a jerk, Meg the scout/sniper, Vance some purple skinned guy from beyond the rifts and Sally our combat engineer beat feet while CS artillery glasses warehouses and turns the street around us into dirt.

Easy job.

Find old man and little girl, of course, always the defenseless and injured. Makes your humanity crawl when you know they can't make it back without a body bag. Tell Meg to tend to them, rest of the team moves up, smoke from the wall like ol' Prosek smokin' a cigar.

Dead-head tank rumblin' on in, infantry chasin' it's skirt. Multi-optic eye says close, too close to run from our position to check the next house. Need some room to breath so i make with the Naruni Optic Camouflage, take some of Sally's anti-vehicle mines and skulk like a mage in the 'burbs after curfew. Tank driver don't see me, but as the mines bury themselves in the open ground, boots spot the uneven ground, call out contact.

Run like you got somewhere to be.

Lasers cut the air, anti-personnel from the tank and a powdery, adhesive dust fires out of the tank, clings to the armor, exposes my profile. Dive for cover behind a house, tank round brings it down and buries me. Vance and Sally put down suppressive fire, draw the dead-boys as they back away. Tank turns, hits the mines.

Clean up on main street. Dead-boys go some explaining to do.

Dig me out of the house, armor's too scratched to make with the camouflage but we beat feet back to Meg. She's got our refugees up and moving, god bless the woman. She can calm a wounded fury beetle, two scared humans are a song and dance. Run and run as stray shots from the firefight ahead burn the town around us. Missile salvo from the Mark V parked outside town, called in from the infantry picking themselves up from behind the tank wreck. We hit the deck, the body armor does its job. Meg throws herself over the refugees, but the missiles are plasma. It's like jumping into a pool and trying to stay dry.

Say good bye to grandpa and little Orphan Annie. No time, mission failed. Keep running, Alrik.

Commander Gracklechompers is screamin', rock and a hard place. Fire team of skeles and a Terror Trooper waiting for our VTOL's to poke a nose up. Light infantry, don't have enough against power armor. Mage is slinging his PPE all over the place, rakin' the skelebots with lighting, not much for it. Juice-boy closes in, cilmbs the wall, our spell slinger becomes intimate with his vibro-claws. Meg puts him down with a burst from her JA-12 while he's makin' sure our buddy stays down. Being thorough has a price.

No anti-armor, but one of grackle's boys still has a charred arm attached to a wiggle-20. Snatch it up, frag rounds. Big-T is two hundred meters out, no cover and half a dozen skelebots between him and me. Back armor's weak, but no way i'll get there before his missile rifle turns me into a splotchy memory of smoke and ash.

Vance has spoofers, lends me his rig as i'm the faster runner. He covers me with his grenade pump, Sally drops the chaff grenades off her underslung launcher and i pound sand with my feet. First skelebot tastes the JA-12, the next has a vibro-blade for my hide, i roll past and it takes a pump round to the spine. Big-Terror doesn't see me, he cuts loose with the missiles and pops the wall full on. Cover fire stops, the others fell off, maybe dead in the blast.

Cut out of the smoke, see the trooper's rear and let him have it.

*it blew up, we got outta there, most of us died, i made it out but the transport was shot down over a demon-infested forest, but that's another story*
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

The PC party are on a mysterious, uncharted planet in the Thundercloud Galaxy. They are on a riverboat and a loud storm is raging. Several times, I ask them to make perception rolls, which no one passes.

The boat suddenly plunges over a waterfall, and lands upside down. Half of the characters drown because they didn't have swimming as a skill.

Now, everyone makes certain that their characters can swim. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Razzinold
Hero

Alrik Vas wrote:Operation Dead Lift

A mixed merc group is hired to evacuate a town being sieged by skull-heads. They have VTOL transports and a small field on the town's north side set as the LZ. Five squads of mercs, some have psychics, there are a few casters but the majority of them are troopers of various specialties. the leader is a Grackletooth with a bionic-replacement lower jaw, don't remember the chomper's name.

CS is deployed around the town, most of the folks have retreated to an ore refinery (the reason the town exists at all, the owner/operator hired the mercs to do this extraction job). Transports fire tinsel, pop flares as CS missiles close in. Decoy transport gets gutted by plasma SRM's, the rest of the VTOL's make landing.

The dead-head officer is a real cowboy, sends skelebots in a charge, gung-ho for humanity, son.

Mercs out of the fliers, start to ferry refugees out of the plant, metal chomper the grakletooth wants my unit to clear the last houses, the plant operator says there's stagglers in town.

Bummer.

Me, Alrik, kind of a jerk, Meg the scout/sniper, Vance some purple skinned guy from beyond the rifts and Sally our combat engineer beat feet while CS artillery glasses warehouses and turns the street around us into dirt.

Easy job.

Find old man and little girl, of course, always the defenseless and injured. Makes your humanity crawl when you know they can't make it back without a body bag. Tell Meg to tend to them, rest of the team moves up, smoke from the wall like ol' Prosek smokin' a cigar.

Dead-head tank rumblin' on in, infantry chasin' it's skirt. Multi-optic eye says close, too close to run from our position to check the next house. Need some room to breath so i make with the Naruni Optic Camouflage, take some of Sally's anti-vehicle mines and skulk like a mage in the 'burbs after curfew. Tank driver don't see me, but as the mines bury themselves in the open ground, boots spot the uneven ground, call out contact.

Lasers cut the air, anti-personnel from the tank and a powdery, adhesive dust fires out of the tank, clings to the armor, exposes my profile. Dive for cover behind a house, tank round brings it down and buries me. Vance and Sally put down suppressive fire, draw the dead-boys as they back away. Tank turns, hits the mines.

Clean up on main street. Dead-boys go some explaining to do.

Dig me out of the house, armor's too scratched to make with the camouflage but we beat feet back to Meg. She's got our refugees up and moving, god bless the woman. She can calm a wounded fury beetle, two scared humans are a song and dance. Run and run as stray shots from the firefight ahead burn the town around us. Missile salvo from the Mark V parked outside town, called in from the infantry picking themselves up from behind the tank wreck. We hit the deck, the body armor does its job. Meg throws herself over the refugees, but the missiles are plasma. It's like jumping into a pool and trying to stay dry.

Say good bye to grandpa and little Orphan Annie. No time, mission failed. Keep running, Alrik.

Commander Gracklechompers is screamin', rock and a hard place. Fire team of skeles and a Terror Trooper waiting for our VTOL's to poke a nose up. Light infantry, don't have enough against power armor. Mage is slinging his PPE all over the place, rakin' the skelebots with lighting, not much for it. Juice-boy closes in, cilmbs the wall, our spell slinger becomes intimate with his vibro-claws. Meg puts him down with a burst from her JA-12 while he's makin' sure our buddy stays down. Being thorough has a price.

No anti-armor, but one of grackle's boys still has a charred arm attached to a wiggle-20. Snatch it up, frag rounds. Big-T is two hundred meters out, no cover and half a dozen skelebots between him and me. Back armor's weak, but no way i'll get there before his missile rifle turns me into a splotchy memory of smoke and ash.

Vance has spoofers, lends me his rig as i'm the faster runner. He covers me with his grenade pump, Sally drops the chaff grenades off her underslung launcher and i pound sand with my feet. First skelebot tastes the JA-12, the next has a vibro-blade for my hide, i roll past and it takes a pump round to the spine. Big-Terror doesn't see me, he cuts loose with the missiles and pops the wall full on. Cover fire stops, the others fell off, maybe dead in the blast.

Cut out of the smoke, see the trooper's rear and let him have it.

*it blew up, we got outta there, most of us died, i made it out but the transport was shot down over a demon-infested forest, but that's another story*

Dude you can't leave me hanging! I want to hear that other story because the way you told this one was awesome.
Razzinold
Hero

Braden Campbell wrote:The PC party are on a mysterious, uncharted planet in the Thundercloud Galaxy. They are on a riverboat and a loud storm is raging. Several times, I ask them to make perception rolls, which no one passes.

The boat suddenly plunges over a waterfall, and lands upside down. Half of the characters drown because they didn't have swimming as a skill.

Now, everyone makes certain that their characters can swim. ;)

I don't think anyone in my group (current and old) takes that as a skill, myself included. Probably because every campaign has had us safely on land the whole time, or flying over land.

Perhaps it's time to rethink that strategy ?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Haha, thanks man. Honestly I cut it short because I was at work and had to leave abruptly. Thanks for the feedback though, always glad to spin one of the old tales.

And Braden, yeah...swimming is one of those things people forget about, a lot. Like, almost as often as they forget to bribe the GM.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

When my orc Olug jumped off a moving hovervehicle to attack another vehicle with his vibrosword, lol, didn't end well
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's taking it right in the SDC, there pal.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Alrik Vas wrote:Haha, thanks man. Honestly I cut it short because I was at work and had to leave abruptly. Thanks for the feedback though, always glad to spin one of the old tales.

And Braden, yeah...swimming is one of those things people forget about, a lot. Like, almost as often as they forget to bribe the GM.

I think it's more because of the limited number of skills that one can take, people don't want to burn a slot on a skill that they'll never use.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Dealing triple digit damage on a critical hit. Simon my super vagabond dogfighting with SAMAS was awesome also. And recently Secret operative Shady Blue and the kitty master Lotus sneaking into a mexican prison while PowerSurge started a brawl with the guards at the front gate.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well, some were interested, so I typed up the rest of that game. It was multiple sessions and a lot of fun. Hope the rest of you guys like the story too.

reposting the beginning as well, so here's the whole thing.

Operation Dead Lift
A mixed merc group is hired to evacuate a town being sieged by skull-heads. They have VTOL transports and a small field on the town's north side set as the LZ. Five squads of mercs, some have psychics, there are a few casters but the majority of them are troopers of various specialties. The leader is a Grackletooth with a bionic-replacement lower jaw, don't remember the chomper's name.
Bummer.
Easy job.
Dead-head tank rumblin' on in, infantry chasin' the skirt. Multi-optic eye says close, too close to run from our position to check the next house. Need some room to breathe so I make with the Naruni Optic Camouflage, take some of Sally's anti-vehicle mines and skulk like a mage in the 'burbs after curfew. Tank driver doesn’t see me, but as the mines bury themselves in the rockcrete, boots spot the uneven ground, call out contact.
Lasers cut the air, anti-personnel from the tank along with a powdery, adhesive dust spraying out of hand thrown grenades, clings to the armor, exposes my profile. Dive for cover behind a house, tank round brings it down and buries me. Vance and Sally put down suppressive fire, draw the dead-boys off me as they back away. Tank turns, hits the mines.
Clean up on main street. Dead-boys got some explaining to do.
Dig me out of the house, armor's too scratched to make with the camouflage but we beat feet back to Meg. She's got our refugees up and moving, god bless the woman. She can calm a wounded fury beetle, two scared humans are a song and dance. Run and gun as stray shots from the firefight ahead burn the town around us. Missile salvo from the Mark V parked outside town, called in from the infantry picking themselves up from behind the tank wreck. We hit the deck, the body armor does its job. Meg throws herself over the refugees, but the missiles are plasma. It's like jumping into a pool and trying to stay dry.
Commander Gracklechompers is screamin', rock and a hard place. Fire team of skeles and a Terror Trooper waiting for our VTOL's to poke a nose up. We’re light infantry, don't have enough against power armor. Mage is slinging his PPE all over the place, rakin' the skelebots with lighting, not much for it. CS Juice-boy closes in acrobatically at the speed of five-years-to-live, cilmbs the wall, our spell slinger becomes intimate with his vibro-claws. Meg puts him down with a pulse from her JA-12 while he's makin' sure our buddy stays down. Being thorough has a price.
Sally has explosives, but no range. No anti-armor weapons, but one of grackle's boys still has a charred arm attached to a wiggle-20. Snatch it up, frag rounds, close enough. Big-T is two hundred meters out, no cover and half a dozen skelebots between him and me. Back armor's weak, but no way I’ll get there before his missile rifle turns me into a splotchy memory of smoke and ash.
Vance has spoofers, lends me his rig as I’m the faster runner. He covers me with his grenade pump, Sally drops the chaff grenades off her underslung launcher and i pound sand with my feet. First skelebot tastes the JA-12, the next has a vibro-blade for my hide, i roll past and it takes a pump round to the spine. Big-Terror doesn't see me, he cuts loose with the missiles and pops the wall full on. Cover fire stops, the others fell off, maybe dead in the blast.
Cut out of the smoke, see the trooper's rear and let him have it, 27mm to your back. Shake and rattle, Big-T. Mag empty, story over, the armor’s reactor blows. See me, doin’ my fly without magic trick.
Armor lookin’ like decoration for a corpse. Crawl to your feet, Alrik, skeles don’t get tired of shootn’ at you. Running back, one hellion skelebot takes an HE grenade from the JA-12’s underslung. Skull-slag. Lasers, hyper-carbon railgun rounds and frag fly around the kill zone between me and the LZ, but the skeles don’t see through the chaff and spoofers. Bolt like a ghost.
Get back to the LZ, Gracklechomp gives the order, the first flying whale full of townies takes off and I get the feeling this is gonna work. Meg, Sally and Vance climb out of the rubble, Vance missing the sleeve of his armor, adrenaline says he can still feel the arm that’s waving goodbye to him in the ruin of the wall.
Stumble and bleed our way to the VTOL, strap in. Pilot is a joker, “Keep your bits and pieces in the upright position, dig?”
G’s punch our guts, lift-off. CS armor jocks like a merekat, missiles and lasers point like they know something’s up. Grakle orders suppression, draw off enemy fire, protect the civies. Pilot banks over the north edge of town, VTOL’s 30mm laughs like a demon. Get some.
Then we climb, droppin’ flares to play with the SRMs screaming after the VTOL’s exit. The plane rolls and dips, banks hard and more flares light the sky behind us. Pilot pipes up as our guts drop into our feet, he’s prayin’ to some old god as he tells us we’re about to cash in.
Well, not everything can go right.
VTOL screams, pieces of armor and the wing come off, free window seat. The racks Gracklechomp, the sergeant and our last spell slinger are strapped to come loose, sucked out the hole. Vance is hanging by his harness, flyin’ like a flag but won’t clear the hole. The next missile hits the rear and the hatch melts, pouring out of the back like a bucket of water. Air sucks out the other wounded and the VTOL’s a drunk on the road, crash and cash. Last thing I see is the green claws of a forest opening up to drag us out of the sky.
Me hangin’ upside down in the tangle. Head’s spun out, can’t get right. Pull the harness release and fall to the deck, bam, instant wake up. VTOL’s done, melted pieces of our ride make a happy trail through purple trees. Check the pilot, tree branch helping him with his thoughts. Copilot made out, helmet deflected the lethal blow, still out though. Fly-boy luck.
Vance is some kind of I-don’t-know, still alive, but not bleeding while he snoozes. Maybe he can heal the wound, dig it. Sally and Meg are having a slumber party.
Now us, outside, Vance alive but one arm, copilot unconscious, Meg shaken but good, Sally can’t find her shotgun. We hear the howl.
Great.
Purple-green eyes, breath like a 3-day bender, hair and claws from your nightmares. Pack of hell hounds lookin’ for their next meal. Sally backs up, skins her caseless 10mm while Meg draws a bead with the ’12. No problem ladies.
“Fire in the hole”, I share the magic of the M81 flash with our new friends.
God flicks the lights on and claps his hands. Multi-optics and visors polarize, ultra-ear kills the noise, the hounds break.
TX-5, pooch. Have some micro-grenades for the run home.
Comms are no good, over. No surprise, nothing goes right. Vance looks like hell, says he can move. We drag the copilot for a few klicks until the IRMSS wakes him. He’s Matt, a body, but a fly-boy, useless on the ground. Meg gives him her side arm, NG-45, big hardware for the little lady. A few klicks later, lost in the forest. West is north, the sun plays games, can’t see our feet in the fog.
#EveryforesteverinanRPG
Us in a clearing, flowers and vines like a welcome home. Half way, giant boulder is a giant head, vines are arms, flowers are poison pollen. Head looks like an old longhair with a baldspot, yellow teeth and a laugh like my old man. Vance is missing his hat, Matt has no protection, pollen snares them, vines grab them. Meg aims the JA-12, vap-vap, the head cries like a little girl, vines around her leg.
TX-5 to the eye, micro grenade meets white-matter. Sally cuts Meg loose, she pumps a rifle grenade into the mouth, take your medicine. Vines pull our comrades faster, head’s going down. Sally reaches into engineer bag of tricks, NG Inferno charge, plasma cataclysm, flesh melts off the face, screaming stops, vines stop.
Two more klicks in random direction before a word is said. Place is heebie-geebies.
Dark night, hell hounds tracking us, booby traps answer the door when they come knocking. Not much sleep. Vance is working on a new arm, Matt won’t stop seeing terror in his own shadow. Running out of explosives, like a coffin nail. Sally and Meg keep it together, I appreciate it.
Next day, new tracks, giant. Best news ever. Scout ahead, find a camp of techno-uglies, minor demons, call them brodkill. Move to avoid but they put out the call, “Manflesh on the wind, brothers!” I hear the demogogian on ultra-ear, chills the bones as it echoes through the woods.
Need a cyber-doc to take these things out, might be better.
Us on an animal trail, massive grey and red arms grab Sally from nowhere. Chains fling out and wrap up Meg and I, Matt screams and knocks over Vance in a panic, demons come to say hello. Ugly raises a blade, not a sword, just a sharpened hunk of metal. Demon strength makes it a rune weapon. Vance stands just in time to be split end to end. Purple crap everywhere.
Not my idea.
Vibro-knife comes free of the sheath, cuts the chain, Meg and I drop. New ugly steps up, oversized cannon, no known make. Barrel is bigger than this earth it’s so close. Matt-panic finds a new accident, NG-45’s a tree, knocks the ugly down.
Hand to the drop-rig, NE-4. Ugly knows his face is as good as gone, but he roars to try and scare me. Nerves of steel, pull the damn trigger. Empty mag, headless demon. Meg shoots ugly with the blade, shears his hand, not enough to kill. Demon foot + Huntsman Armor, not the best equation. Meg flies, but ugly can’t use his blade how he’d like to one handed. Vibro-knife in close, not enough time to reload. Stab the thigh, twist and duck to the side, hell blood pours out, demon screamin’. Heavy blade swings, too slow. I use the knife to climb up his kidneys, wrap around his neck, insert tab A into windpipe. Timber.
Now I’m a lumberjack.
Explosion. Trees shake, bushes blow out and there’s a new howl. Sally tumbles out of the brush, smoking but alive. Meg struggles, but stands. Vance is a memory. Matt points his long pistol at shadows, tense and shaking.
Could have been worse.
I take Vance’s pump rifle and make Matt bury the pieces. Worthless fly-boy.
Us a few klicks later, still no idea where we are, but the fog is thicker. Turn back, still lost. Nowhere to go. Sally thinks if we just go straight we have to get somewhere eventually. Even running into the Dead-boys doesn’t seem too bad. Rather fight than be lost. We get our wish.
Out of the fog comes T-Rex.
Hide and teeth, he’s hungry and looking for a fight. He’s too close, no way something that big can sneak up on you. Ninja-sauroid. I get knocked aside by the tail, lose the pump rifle in the leaves. T-Rex is set on his prey, he ignores me.
Thank God, he wants to eat Matt.
Get up, still no pump rifle. Matt lucks out and dodges at the right time. Sally cuts loose with the 10mm, DU APRJ death. T-Rex doesn’t take your crap, he goes for the bite. Meg fires, but the JA system sparks, hell of a time for malfunction. I shoot a wild round from the NE-4, but I miss and Sally takes a trip to teeth town. The crunch comes loud, armor plates rip, collapse and we get the muffled scream through her helmet, then she’s limp and quiet. T-Rex plays with his food, tosses the snack in the air and catches it with his mouth, swallows half her body.
Meg rages and point blanks with a JA-12 rifle grenade, loses some plating on her huntsman from the blast and ragdolls down a slope. T-Rex is missing some serious thigh muscle, but he’s still interested in seconds and Matt’s too close, paralyzed in the gory display.
Plasma cartridges, nine of them. Murdertooth runs scared until his tail melts off, stumbles like a drunk, thrashes like a wannabe on Mega. Last mag slides in, but not blowing it on a burn out like ol’ T-Rex. Sally’s bottom half wasn’t devoured, has her engineer satchel. T-Rex squirms, angry, trying to get up but has no balance.
Helmet off, cigarette in. Sick of this crap. Matt’s hiding, Meg’s nowhere, Sally’s in the belly of the beast. NG Fusion Block, last trick. Blasting cap, M98 remote detonator. Goodbye, sucker.
The conflagration reads See you in Hell.
Deck Matt, he knows he should be dead. Find Meg, she’s on shaky legs, bleeding through her armor.
“You killed it?”
“Sauroid steak.”
Her helmet comes off and she hugs me. Guess Sally and her were partners. I feel her tears streak like blood on my cheek.
No time for this.
She patches up and collects her memories, Matt doesn’t say another word. A few klicks later we see smoke, use it like a beacon. Run like crazy, children beating the dark home. Worst fear is it’s our old VTOL, shouldn’t be smoking still, but the forest is a bastard.
Us in another clearing, reached the point of the smoke as night falls, see navigation lights above. Aircraft. Too close. Multi-optic eye gives me more bad news. Matte Black, skull head, flying on silent wings like the reaper himself. Always something with this place.
Striker SAMAS paints us in the unflattering spotlight, troopers appear from every edge of the forest clearing. Our hands go up with our hopes and dreams.
SNAFU.
*the last leg of Operation Dead Lift really is another story altogether, because it got weird after this moment. We’ll just say escape happens, not until after everyone else dies, but it was a hell of a ride. One of the best games I’ve had the pleasure of being in. Funny how the games that are hell get remembered with such fondness*
Last edited by Alrik Vas on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razzinold
Hero

@Alrik Vas
:eek: all I can say to that complete story is... hoo rah! :bandit:
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

My fondest memory playing palladium is oddly enough my first character in my first campaign. Only books available at the time were RMB, SB1, WB1 VK and CB1.

Played a Bot RCC from SB1 (GM watched all rolls that were relevant and ended up with ma budget go me)

Hired by a demon and kept on retainer to do various tasks with a pretty good contract

Outsmarted the GM by negotiating with a Master Vampire for passage through his mountain lair and catacombs when the GM expected us to fight our way out as quickly as possible.

Went HTH with a demon and took him down in epic Wolverine like style

Faced an arrogant GB pilot in a tournament (another player in fact) who, not knowing how my bot was equipped, declared "I'll let you take the first shot"....it didn't last long. I won.

I have had plenty of good times playing. Plenty of bad ones too mind yo but the above is what I always think of first.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Razzinold
Hero

jaymz wrote:My fondest memory playing palladium is oddly enough my first character in my first campaign. Only books available at the time were RMB, SB1, WB1 VK and CB1.

Played a Bot RCC from SB1 (GM watched all rolls that were relevant and ended up with ma budget go me)

Hired by a demon and kept on retainer to do various tasks with a pretty good contract

Outsmarted the GM by negotiating with a Master Vampire for passage through his mountain lair and catacombs when the GM expected us to fight our way out as quickly as possible.

Went HTH with a demon and took him down in epic Wolverine like style

Faced an arrogant GB pilot in a tournament (another player in fact) who, not knowing how my bot was equipped, declared "I'll let you take the first shot"....it didn't last long. I won.

I have had plenty of good times playing. Plenty of bad ones too mind yo but the above is what I always think of first.

Was that the infamous tournament that we heard so much about, the one that contained a chi master who was a player we both know? lol
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Actually no. That was much later. For some reason the GM's I have mostly had, had a tendency to throw a 'tournament" in. NO idea why. Then again most people I ended up playing with were hack and slash and liked the tournaments.

Thankfully that is no longer the case and hasn't been since before we met. Prior to that....oh gods there were so many that gave credence to the Rifts=munchkins meme.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alrik Vas
Knight

Yeah, Jaymz, arena battles and tournaments are the bread and butter of teenaged Rifts players. Happened to me too.

Razzinold wrote:@Alrik Vas
:eek: all I can say to that complete story is... hoo rah! :bandit:

Thanks man. Glad ya liked it.

Razzinold
Hero

jaymz wrote:Actually no. That was much later. For some reason the GM's I have mostly had, had a tendency to throw a 'tournament" in. NO idea why. Then again most people I ended up playing with were hack and slash and liked the tournaments.

Thankfully that is no longer the case and hasn't been since before we met. Prior to that....oh gods there were so many that gave credence to the Rifts=munchkins meme.....

Only tournaments my old GM had us in, were against NPCs and only if it made sense. Once we did it to make money and in another we were captured and experimented on and they wanted to test the limits of our new powers
Razzinold
Hero

Played a Chaos Earth campaign once and it had some cool moments in it.

Paul - GM
Darren (Paul's younger brother) - Demon Hunter (I think that's what it was called, it is the one from Chaos Earth that isn't a part of NEWMA officially but they use the sometimes and they work on their own too )
Mike (Paul's cousin) - Crazy
Jen (Mike's wife) - Juicer
Me - MSpec Commando (pretty sure that's what it was called, I only ever played 1 chaos earth campaign and haven't read the book since)

So a quick background, Paul, Darren and my self have played Rifts for years together (other people joined and left the group over the years. My wife was one of the people who joined and stayed).
Mike and Jen had played D&D for years, and so has Paul with them and with another group as well, but this was their first time playing Rifts and Darren and I have never played D&D. So everyone had years of role playing experience in some form or another.

The premise of the campaign was this.
Just like the text in the book the chaos was happening and we were in the thick of it. The female commander (forget her name) wanted to evacuate everyone, I believe the book said Atlanta. She figured that a group this size (NEMA personnel, PA, civilians) would A) attract a lot of attention and B] need a lot of supplies. So her idea was to send a handful of smaller scout parties ahead of the convoy to scout out supplies, safe routes, etc.

I was the leader of my scout party because I was the ranking officer, I could choose either bionic legs or arms when creating my character but I didn't take either. I did have the bionic eye and ear though. The Demon Hunter was a civilian but was still expected to follow my lead, he was given a brevet rank of private for the purpose of this mission. Afterward he had the choice to join NEMA officially or go his own way. The crazy and juicer were assigned to my squad as experimental soldiers, and some muscle to deal with supernatural threats or clearing debris. The crazy was a PA pilot so he started off with a suit, can't remember which one.

We head out under the cover of dusk, I take point, Juicer behind and to the left, Demon Hunter behind and to the right, Crazy in the PA as read guard.

I tell my squad that I want every eyeball in this squad to constantly be on the lookout for friendlies and the enemy. We are walking down the middle of the street with highrise apartments on either side of us, almost felt like cattle being herded through the chute.
Juicer starts to get real agitated, says that she sees eyes looking at her from some of the windows and alleyways, I do a quick sweep with my bionic eye, see nothing and tell everyone to "tighten up and keep moving forward". After another 30 feet Demon Hunter says the same thing so I radio back to the PA and ask him to do a full spectrum sweep. Nothing comes up on radar, thermal or night vision.

The PA has got zero readings which is a really bad sign because now I am seeing it too. I see a alley between two buildings big enough for the PA to get through. It wasn't a street just a lane way large enough to accommodate delivery trucks. We come to a brick wall at the end of the lane way and I ask the PA to "knock on the door" for us. He punches a hole through and off we go heading east for a couple of blocks before heading North again. I have the PA radio back to the convoy to avoid that street, divert east two blocks then continue North.

*The GM tells us after the game was over that we avoided a battle with some kind of demon. The stuff we saw was just illusions to distract us and make us too scared to fight back once we actually game upon him.*

Eventually we come across an open rift and before I can stop her the juicer picks up a pop can and throws it though the Rift. As soon as I turn to berate her for careless conduct the pop can comes flying back out and hits me in the back. So she decides to throw a car through, as the Demon Hunter moves towards her to help me subdue her the car comes flying back. GM says "what do you do?", simple answer "drop to the ground" and the car goes safely over him. Now Juicer reflexes kick in and she draws her pistol and fires into the Rift. Whatever was on the other side obviously had enough of their game of catch and out comes a giant tentacle that wraps around the PA and starts pulling him in. We all open fire, except for him because his arms were pinned and his back was to the Rift so he couldn't help.
Luckily for him he manages to eject out and bye bye PA suit.
We hightail it out of there after dodging a few more tentacles.

We then come across a NEMA compound surrounded by a high fence, power is out so my access code is useless so we cut a hole and go through.

Towards the far end of the compound we run into a Subjugator, what's the first thing the Juicer does ? She runs flat out the other way and jumps the fence! I know it was her first time playing Rifts but come on, who runs away as their first move ?
Demon Hunter starts going toe to toe with him using a giant axe (turns out it was a rune weapon and he was a werewolf) and I am doing called shots to the head with a pulse pistol and I never missed once. Well except when the crazy rolled a 1 and tripped and fell into my line of fire. Poor crazy, lost his PA suit and now I've damaged his armour. So the Demon pretty much ignores our demon hunter (he was getting low rolls and blocked 90% of the attacks from the axe) but points at me mid battle because I am doing the most damage to him.
Finally a nice hit with the axe connects and knocks him down. I leap over him and drop a couple plasma grenades his body and we run!

Of course he manages to teleport before the go off but oh well he's gone.
*After the game the GM said this guy now has a personal grudge against me and we were lucky it ended when it did because his job was to slow any people up because two of his buddies were on the way*

Man this is getting long, ok just some highlights from now on.

We found a dragon's treasure horde and I picked up a plain looking knife that looked like it was carved out of ivory and was all one piece. The juicer found the same thing in black, but didn't tell anyone.

A vampire stops us on the way out and demands both knives. We fight her off, until she mists away and then we are gone.

We are now back with the convoy (not the main one, one of the smaller advance ones) for a bit of rest and resupply when there are reports of something on the roof, the vamp followed us. The demon hunter climbs up and tackles her off the train turning into a wolf mid way. I was there to witness it but nobody else from the group saw.

I end up on the roof and pull a revolver loaded with silver shot. I ask the GM if I can shoot from here and he was like "man to even attempt that you would need a natural 20". He wasn't going to let me even try except I did called shot to the heart and I rolled a natural 20! The piercing of the heart stunned her just long enough for the werewolf to rip her head off and stake her.

Convoy ends up at a medium sized base and I decide to get some surgery so I am better equipped at dealing with this level of threat.
Forest said it best "lieutenant Dan has got magic legs". Now I could keep up with everyone because I was sick and tired of having to be carried if we needed to outrun something.

Fast forward some more the knives turn out to be holy weapons, one of light and one of dark. I was a good alignment and had the white knife, it would whisper guidance to me when facing creatures. Juicer had a not so great alignment and the knife wasn't helping. The GM gave her secret notes that it was giving her nightmares and whispering bad thoughts. She tried to steal my knife but couldn't even pick it up because of her alignment.

There was some more cool stuff, but would take even longer to explain. Long story short I was on my way to becoming something of an archangel (because of the knife) and her a fallen archangel.
But never got the chance because the game ended.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Razzinold wrote:There was some more cool stuff, but would take even longer to explain. Long story short I was on my way to becoming something of an archangel (because of the knife) and her a fallen archangel.

GM Y U NO FINISH!?

That sucks.

Razzinold
Hero

Alrik Vas wrote:
Razzinold wrote:There was some more cool stuff, but would take even longer to explain. Long story short I was on my way to becoming something of an archangel (because of the knife) and her a fallen archangel.

GM Y U NO FINISH!?

That sucks.

Gm was switched to afternoon shift and nobody could play on Monday or Tuesday nights (that was his weekend because he worked Wed-Mon), so the game was put on hold. By the time he got back to day shift I had a brand new baby girl and I had moved farther away (used to only be a 20 minute drive each way to go play at Mike's house and now it would be 40-45 each way).

Eventually I started up a game at my place and Paul and Darren eventually joined because it was only 20 minutes from there place to mine and now Mike didn't want to make the 45 minute drive to play on a Friday night. Also he didn't want to play Saturday because he had two kids as well and didn't want to travel with them (because we said the kids could come and play with our kids).
Razzinold
Hero

@Akashic Soldier - How about you ? What funny stories/fond memories do you have ?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The first Rifts game I played in was back in the mid-90's in Florida. Our G.M. was using Sourcebook 2 to run us through the Mechanoids adventures.

After a series of adventures we were ready to go defeat the Mechanoids at their fortress which we had finally tracked down. We found a buried launch tube for wasps and went to sneak in that way. About halfway through the tunnel we pick up the clues that a whole bunch of wasps are only moments away from launching. We had no cover and no time to get out before they would fly right by us and see us. We did our best to hide along the sides but we weren't very inconspicuous. My character was a Rifts Native superhuman with Create Force Fields. She waited patiently until the wasps were coming and then erected a 1,000 M.D.C. force-field wall right in front of the speeding wasps. They all collided with the wall and each other, destroying the wall but also obliterating every single wasp.

Later, through a series of circumstances I no longer fully recall, the Mechanoid fortress was about to self-destruct. Everyone else had made it out and my character was the last one to escape. She went intangible (using the Vibration power) and made it outside but not clear of the blast radius. When the countdown reached zero she threw all of her remaining force field energy into one protective bubble around her. The G.M. rolled for the explosion damage and rolled exactly the M.D.C. she had in her force field. The explosion proceeded to throw her clear after the force field was completely destroyed.

I'm pretty sure that in one of my folders at home I still have that character sheet. When I think of Rifts I remember these days with this group, and how through luck and guile we wiped out the main threat of the Mechanoids.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Razzinold wrote:@Akashic Soldier - How about you ? What funny stories/fond memories do you have ?

Oh, I've got a few. :lol:

But it is game day, so I will post them (and replies) in a day or so. I would've responded earlier but I got distracted by this fantastic Super Nintendo Game called "Wild Guns". It is the most fun I've had playing a video game in YEARS. :D
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Glistam-that's some super hero serious business. Vibration and Forcefields are no joke. Way to save the continent. :ok:

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Glistam-that's some super hero serious business. Vibration and Forcefields are no joke. Way to save the continent. :ok:

You're right, That was absolutely brilliant!

In my game the best use of a force field I have seen was against a Thornhead Demon. Gobi (a Lemurian Politican) used his Taunt ability (which he role-played exceptionally well) to throw the demon into a berserk rage. Then Tyson threw up a protective force field around him. The Thornhead demon was attacking the Force Field with exclusion of all else, trying to get at the politician within and eviscerate him while the professional demon hunters Ren and Rob took out its two smaller tentacle heads and then killed him from behind. Such was his rage and so great was their damage output, that by the time he realized that each time he knocked down the barrier a new one was being raised that he never realized it wasn't Gobi projecting the force field at all and he was done for.

He was destroyed and was returned to his home dimension for a few hundred years, meaning he could no longer prey on travelers and turn them into statues for his collection.

It was a remarkable use of teamwork, although in reading it probably doesn't sound like much.

Well, I have to get back to game stuff. Good talk folks!

Keep 'em coming!
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Honestly, I believe it was as a GM, sometime circa 2003ish. Wrapping up my first Palladium Campaign.

The group had been playing for years, though the Eastern Territories, the Dwarf Mountain fortress, up through the Northern Wilderness to the very steps of the Wolfen Senate and then the Hinterlands, and finally to Arensigli (dimension/realm, see Rurga in Dragons and gods for basic description). They had been on Arensigli for quite a while, helping in the battle against an evil magic guild that had ruled the continent for ages. The run through the trenches and the fighting through the siege lines to assault the final volcano fortress, the rivers of lava vaporizing troops and sneaking in to disable the magic shield generator was epic, but it was really the very end that was the best. Only the Ogre merc, Gnome thief, elven Longbowman, and the changeling wizard made it to the end. A show down in the center of the volcano against a Night stalker dragon, the trap sprung, hundreds of Deevils closing in from every direction. At this point I do not believe I shall ever forget the look on my players faces. Things looked fairly hopeless, then bright sunlight broke through the dark overcast storm clouds and an army of angels descended from the sky. Lightning and Hellfire raining down as the battle between light and dark was raging around the players, they squared off against the dragon. The players were pretty emotional at this point, one or two almost tearing up. Then as Rurga is often reported to do, she possessed one of the player characters, which I of course let the player run. And they fought the dragon, and it was epic. With the aid of Rurga's power and some great team work the players were able to defeat the dragon and save all of Arensigli from the Deevils.

Afterwards I got what I believe to be the best compliment from my players, "Holy $#!^, that was the awesomest battle ever!" That was probably, to me, the best adventure in the best campaign I ever ran. The players after struggling through the war for years got to be the good guys in the final battle. It was a real good verse evil moment with the fate of a world in the balance. I don't know if I'll ever top that game.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

I'd like to see Akashic's fondest experience in our Waywarer's of The Megaverse game! We've had quite a few so far, and I have some choice experiences myself, but I'm interested in your take AS.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Grand Paladin wrote:I'd like to see Akashic's fondest experience in our Waywarer's of The Megaverse game! We've had quite a few so far, and I have some choice experiences myself, but I'm interested in your take AS.

I've got something of a memory vault (Stephen King's Dream Catcher Reference). So, drawing up a memory on the spot without a "focus" can be a but difficult. However, we've had a lot of really fun times so picking the fondest off the top of my head but I'll give it a shot. . .

Man, there have been so many. . .

Of course "No Slappy Slappy" gave everyone a good chuckle but... I think my fondest memory, was probably standing in the desert after Tian executed--

Actually, let me paint a scene...

Colorado, the scorching sun beats down on a group of unlikely adventures standing around the broken remains of a bandit, his cybernetic skull and brains splattered across the white sands like something right out of the twisted imagination of Théodore Géricault. Kneeling beside the corpse is a young Sean Connery weeping, a rifle in his hands. A still silence washes over the scene as the heroes look over at the weeping man with some concern as his weeping becomes staggered heaving and Sean transforms back into an enormous god-like hatchling dragon with gleaming blue scales and an equally impressive frill about its neck. He is the first to speak, he explains he had to do it. Yet even now, the arms and legs of the corpse remain tightly bound by high tensile rope.

Without a response, the eyes of Gruz the Troll Warlock shift to Daniel and then Faidh and demand action, compassion and mercies both know is well beyond his capacity to express openly. Moving forward Faidh comforts the hatchling and is soon joined by Daniel who assures Tian that everything will be okay. Gruz takes the role of the hard father and averts his eyes in anger and disapproval when Tian's draconian eyes drift to him. Then with a gruff and uncompromising tone, Gruz tells Tian that as our recon guy he needs to take to the air and scout ahead while he dispose of the bodies. Tian agrees and takes flight. Gruz shifts his eyes back from the horizon, pausing a moment to give enough time for he and his companions to be beyond the reach of the Hatchling's keen senses.

Taking up a seat on a large stone and picking his teeth, Gruz looks to his friends as they prepare to bury the corpses and asks them to stop a moment. He says they need to talk about Tian. Originally the heroes had come together to dispatch an evil Hatchling Dragon that was approaching adulthood and had eked out a torturous kingdom for itself among the frozen wastes of Canada. The reality was that while debating what to do the prisoners, in an effort to help Tian had sneaked away and executed a helpless man using his own laser rifle.

Knowing little of the nature and habits of Dragons, the heroes came together like a concerned family and were forced to face the reality that their actions were influencing the growth of a powerful creature. Tian wasn't just a Hatchling Dragon, in a way he was their friend and their communal son and if he went further down that path than it would be on then. Gruz, being the grim Troll and always preparing for the worst and most terrible situations, made it clear to everyone that if Tian grew to be like that other dragon they would be forced to stop him too and so we could not let that happen. Not only because Tian would grow to be significantly stronger than Infernel, but because he cared deeply for the hatchling (all expressed without ever saying it; which was a point of some pride for me as it wasn't easy and was some good role-playing). In the end we all looked at one another and acknowledged the uncomfortable situation. After an understanding Faidh went to spend some time alone to reflect on some things while Daniel patted Gruz on the shoulder and the two picked up some shovels out of the back of his hover truck and went about "cleaning up Tian's mess" one last time.

Its not the most "riveting" scene from our game for sure, but to me it was our "Fantastic Four" moment when the group really came together as a family rather than just a team of adventurers with mutual goals and shared life experience. So much was said that was hard and bonds of real lasting friendship were formed. It was genuine and sincere and a real moment of growth for everyone's characters as we had to accept we were all adults and caring for what could have grown into a time bomb.

Its also part of the reason Gruz was so devastated when Tian "abandoned" his family to live with the Dragons in the Millennium Tree of England. I understand well that Casey just wanted to swap characters to "mix it up a bit" (which is totally fine) but to Gruz in a way it was like losing an adopted nephew or a son to a bunch of strangers. He knew he "had to let him go" and be with his own kind but he didn't like it, not one bit. Ironically, its also the reason Gruz reverted to THIS when all you guys died and he and Natalia were the sole survivors. The impact, power and depth of that scene resonated with me so much and everyone played their character so well. There was a genuine atsmophere of sadness, concern, guilt and fear. It was excellent.

How about you Pete?

It never really came up, but the reason Gruz would always dig graves with Daniel instead of just using the Dig spell after he learned it was because of that scene. It was one of those "unspoken" things that friends did together so no one guy had to do it alone. I wish I could bring him back.
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's a good story, Akashic. That's what roleplaying is all about. That and doing giga-damage.

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Alrik Vas wrote:Haha, thanks man. Honestly I cut it short because I was at work and had to leave abruptly. Thanks for the feedback though, always glad to spin one of the old tales.

Another skill people forget all the time is optic systems.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”