Dear PB writers and contributors - your advice please.

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Dear PB writers and contributors - your advice please.

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

So here's the deal, I've played PB games since the late 1980's and they are by far the most fun I've ever run across. However, I can't help but notice that my home state of Indiana is consistently left out of any and all game lines, save for the smallest mention in the Rifts line. Only a few lines (not even a whole measly paragraph!!) are given to declare the area full of monsters and magic. This simply won't do.

I've begged and cajoled those more talented than myself for some love for the Hoosier state in their fan created material, all to no avail. So I've decided to solve the problem myself. I have an idea (barest outlines) of what I want to do and how far from my home area I want to focus on (just the surrounding counties that I'm familiar with, not the whole state), but I'm not really sure how to go about actually doing what I want.

My question/plea for advice is this: For those of you who know about writing setting/region/world book material, how do/should I go about it so that my final product has some quality and interest to people other than me?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

PS Some starting material has already been provided by Pepsi Jedi

EDIT I FORGOT TO POINT OUT THIS PROJECT IS FOR THE AFTER THE BOMB GAME.
Last edited by The Oh So Amazing Nate on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Dear PB writers and contributors - your advice please.

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I live in Louisville. You probably don't want me writing about Indiana. lol.

Just messing with you, man.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Louisville! You've already got the FoM book and a revised edition of that even. You kindly take your face and shut it sir! Lol.

Just kidding GK. Any serious attempts at advice or help will be and are appreciated.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I saw your post on FB and have been consiidering it, but if I take anything else on I might be shot by certain posters on this forum. lol.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

The Galactus Kid wrote:I saw your post on FB and have been consiidering it, but if I take anything else on I might be shot by certain posters on this forum. lol.

We'll keep in all hush hush like. I won't tell anyone.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

My advice would be to look at a similar article or piece in either a World Book or Rifter and use it as a guide on how to lay out the piece. Then find an editor that knows gaming and proper grammar to go over it and give it the polish it needs. This may cost you a bit, but if your heart is really set on getting the piece published, it's worth it.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

auyl wrote:My advice would be to look at a similar article or piece in either a World Book or Rifter and use it as a guide on how to lay out the piece. Then find an editor that knows gaming and proper grammar to go over it and give it the polish it needs. This may cost you a bit, but if your heart is really set on getting the piece published, it's worth it.

I see where you're going with this Auyl and it makes good sense. However, I'm not so much interested in getting anything published as much as I'm interested in getting something created that covers my area (or state if I'm ambitious) and having that thing not be garbage.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:So here's the deal, I've played PB games since the late 1980's and they are by far the most fun I've ever run across. However, I can't help but notice that my home state of Indiana is consistently left out of any and all game lines, save for the smallest mention in the Rifts line. Only a few lines (not even a whole measly paragraph!!) are given to declare the area full of monsters and magic. This simply won't do.

I've begged and cajoled those more talented than myself for some love for the Hoosier state in their fan created material, all to no avail. So I've decided to solve the problem myself. I have an idea (barest outlines) of what I want to do and how far from my home area I want to focus on (just the surrounding counties that I'm familiar with, not the whole state), but I'm not really sure how to go about actually doing what I want.

My question/plea for advice is this: For those of you who know about writing setting/region/world book material, how do/should I go about it so that my final product has some quality and interest to people other than me?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

PS Some starting material has already been provided by Pepsi Jedi

EDIT I FORGOT TO POINT OUT THIS PROJECT IS FOR THE AFTER THE BOMB GAME.

You are faced with a dilemma that most of the writers have faced. All you have to go on is what you know and what you find interesting. We as writers have no idea if others will be as passionate about our work as we are. You just have to go for it. Look at what material is out there for ideas. Then when your ready to put pen to paper don't hold back. Cut loose and go with your imagination. Submit it to the Rifter and see what happens.

Good luck :ok:
Last edited by Carl Gleba on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I tried to write a book about Indiana, but I kept falling asleep. :P
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

mumah wrote:I tried to write a book about Indiana, but I kept falling asleep. :P

Posted at 6:39pm...isnt that a little early for the trolls to be out? I mean the sun is still up lol!

I understand your frustration. If you ask anyone outside of the state and a fair few who even live here they'll give you the same reply. "Indiana? oh yeah, that's the place you have to go through to get somewhere interesting."

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

I'm still trying to get my ideas for the new jersey adventures straightened out, but good luck Nate... and I do mean that.
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Well this life long Hoosier who lives in northern Indiana understands your frustration but personally
I don't agree with the crow from Indiana Beach (there is only corn in Indiana). I work (and sort of
live) in Michigan City which gets mentioned in Mutant Underground as a place where mutants can
find sanctuary. I can see someone maybe writing something for BtS for a Rifter article. There is
some nice "haunted" history in this state. As for Rifts, I just don't see Indy being all that important
in the overall picture. Of course all you have to do is write something for the Rifter and/or Rifts
and you might be able to change that. Otherwise I'd rather be anywhere but here.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Rappanui wrote:submit it to rifter , best bet.

Like I told Auyl. I'm not looking for help in getting something published. I'm looking for advice on How to write it period. How do I make the setting come alive? what encounters make sense? How much can I alter the existing geography, city layout, etc.. before I get to the point of writing about Indiana and where I live and completely making something up?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Rappanui wrote:submit it to rifter , best bet.

Like I told Auyl. I'm not looking for help in getting something published. I'm looking for advice on How to write it period. How do I make the setting come alive? what encounters make sense? How much can I alter the existing geography, city layout, etc.. before I get to the point of writing about Indiana and where I live and completely making something up?

What kind of encounters make sense and which don't really depends on the setting you create for yourself. I know that doesn't help a whole lot, but if what some have been saying about Indiana is true maybe have rogue groups trying to hide out or groups of ravaging beasts that live in that type of setting with little population.

When writing as well, leave room and suggestions that will leave you wondering "what if this happened...". You want to be able to draw an adventure from the writing itself. Rather that just have plain text describing the setting, give it some life by suggesting some possible plots or conflicts that makes you wonder what kind of adventure that might build into.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

If Indiana really is that boring, make something up. Who cares if it is natural to that area. It is Rifts (Or AtB) and things will be different. Instead of building an area that is boring because it is accurate to the area add something awesome to make people remember Indiana. Maybe even want to go there as a destination. Also I think it is silly to ask others to write what you want, but that is just my opinion. If you really want that to be done well, you'll have to hire someone an I don't think you are willing to invest in this project like that.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Rappanui wrote:
Since this is After the bomb we're talking about, think about which species are the prevalent animals, what is their major technology and export.. and how did they react to the fall? how do they fair against cities like porkopolis and the Free Plains Sociopaths?...

Good questions!
Prevalent animals.. Same as the East coast centered ATB2 main book as far as I know. I'm not a biologist. Dominant mammal species of the top of my head White tailed deer and coyote (for predator).

Tech .. hrmm well factories in the general area.. Medical latex products, Auto parts, there is a Toyota plant and a couple pharmaceutical plants to the south of the area I planned on covering (may expand it, not sure), just north of my planned area is Eli Lily pharmaceuticals. Honestly I'll have to look it up, because I've never been big into factory work (great profession if you can stomach it, but it fries my brain).

Major Export. Coal. My hometown is home to Bear Run Mine the largest surface coal mine in the Eastern US. Other major exports for this area (to my knowledge) are corn and soybeans.

BUT!! When the bombs drop, wouldn't that have a major impact on nationwide commerce? What're you going to do with an auto plan that can't get the raw materials in? How useful are industrial centers that produce 'parts' of an unfinished whole? "your factory makes steering column assemblies for an auto manufacturing plant in California? Isn't that sweet, hate to tell you but everything west of Fresno is gone"

how did they react? My plan is to have them be somewhat pragmatic. Things are going bad every where, but being in the middle of the middle it takes a minute or two before the full effects are felt here. Better prepare what we can or have a plan laid out before the feces hits the fan.

How do they fair against porkopolis and the free plains. Porkopolis is in Cincinnati Ohio right? Ohio is on the opposite side of the state from where I'm focusing (170 miles). I'd say that is a bit to far to be a major concern. I may give it more thought at a later date, but right now it doesn't factor in.

The Plains of Free Cattle.. given my understanding of where they are they aren't any threat or concern. Between us and them is the Mississippi River, the whole state of Illinois, and then the Wabash River.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Uh oh, someone got foe listed. Was für ein Arsch Hut!

Thanks to all who have offered encouragement and insight.

A Big Thanks to Bill Coffin for an exceptional outline to use as a guide for writing setting info.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Rappanui wrote:just a note: but Porkopolis is a city state of flyers... their reach would be far and wide. As for Free plains, They control LOTS of territory and are anti technology.

I could see them flying to Indianapolis..and Maaaaybe Bloomington..but like I said right now I'm not focusing on anything that far on the other side of the state. It is something to keep in mind however.

I'll have to double check the free plains info. I know they're anti beast of burden/ "animal enslavement" not sure (not arguing over it) about the anti tech part. I will have (because it is really there) an Amish community with anti-tech attitudes.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Wanted to post an update for those of you who might have been even a smidge interested.

I have what I believe to be a rough draft of a HLS for the region.

I still have a pretty good handle on what I want to do with the area, but I keep running into problems with population/geography.

-One of the biggest problems i keep banging my head against is I know why people live here now, but (other than pure vanity on my part as the writer) why would they live here after the crash? Do the centers of population for the smaller towns stay where they are or do they move closer to industry/resources/other people (safety in numbers)? I have a few small towns I plan on writing in as places to get supplies, pick up a job, mid points between bigger cities, etc., but I don't want to (or feel I need to) make mention of every place between the major centers. Some of them I feel kind of lazy leaving out. For example, one town a few miles from me has a fairly large state prison. Nothing else of any importance, but the prison is there. So I'm gonna skip it. I plan on leaving the major population centers where they are for... reasons.

-When you're writing about real world locations set in a fictional universe what do you do with existing place names? ATB has Boarstown, Smoketown, Porkopolis, Technoville, and others. Off the top of my head the only place that retains (at least somewhat) its original name is Philly. Should I leave the town and city names the way they are or try to come up with something new yet still able to prompt the reader to associate it with it's real world counterpart?

-Another problem I'm having is a neat little mix of writers block, apathy, and laziness. I want to write about my hometown/area I'm familiar with. As for the rest of the state I'm really leaning toward, "I don't even care/know about those place IRL. Why/How should/would anyone care about them for a game setting?" This is causing the original project of IN, KY, OH, IL, and MI to swiftly degenerate into just my little slice of Indiana. Any advice you have about working around or through this is appreciated.
*Pepsi Jedi did agree to think about working on the Michigan part. I had an idea for the region, but other than "it's north of me" I know next to nothing about the state.

Still working on a threat for the area. My brother suggested a gang of bandits and even came up with a name for them. This leaves me with all the common major npc questions of location, motive, group make-up; for which I have no answers.

-The above mentioned HLS could tie the EoH to the region. I'm not sure how to write them in though. None of my games have had anything to do with the EoH/mutant conflict. I suppose I could leave that up to the individual GMs, but make mention of it as a way things "could" go.

I really don't plan on submitting any of this to PB for publication so feel free to collaborate and offer suggestions.

Thanks, Nate

*These are a lot of words to admit that I don't feel like I know what I'm doing or how to do it.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Locked due to thread necromancy.

All kidding aside, Have you looked at this project from the point of view "considering your own lack of interest you should abandon said project" ?

If you are finding it difficult to get excited about writing your own home town, which already has a dear spot in your heart, why would people who don't live there be excited for the content then ?

I'm not trying to be a knob, just giving you another point of view to look at this from. It's not even my point of view, just one in general.

I say if you truly want to write this then go for it! I think what will make it a success is take a few key things of Indiana and put the main spin/focus on that.

For example, my home town is known for the massive car manufacturing plant so I would turn that place into some wicked Skynet like homage where instead of cars the robotic lines now produce war machines sent to destroy all man kind.

Or the flip side, the humans sized control of the assembly lines and it's their sole means of survival. They make weapons, vehicles, etc.

You could either put it in the hands of the human heroes, or villains, the gang of the area controls the factory. They are able to fashion new vehicles, or just keep older ones running, and they are pretty much the only people with that kind of power.

You could something like that for Indiana.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I fully support Razzinold point of view. I have zero interest in hearing or reading about content based around Indiana.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Razzinold you make a good point. It is something I'll have to consider. It may turn out that my creative energies flow more freely if I take the time to focus on the project rather than try to scrounge for ideas when i've got nothing else to do for the day. I can't expect to produce anything if I don't put some priority/real effort in to it.

I really like the example you gave of the auto plant in your town.
-Just a few miles outside my town is the largest surface coal mine in the Eastern US.
-One of the cities I planned on including in the original write up has a historical marker as the Crossroads of America. The term has since been moved north to Indianapolis. Being the state you have to go through to get somewhere else should provide multiple routes (pun intended) for inspiration.
-Where I live is just off the Wabash river, a major N-S waterway for commerce before the railroad took over.

There are plenty of things to write about and draw inspiration from. I just have to (like I said above) devote some time to it rather than a few passing thoughts. Thank you Razz.

Lukterran - I'll be sure to send you one of the first copies of the finished work along with an autographed photo of yours truly.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”