Video from gama show

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Video from gama show

Unread post by Kryptt »

Here's a video from the gama show.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=pR-z5PBsJx4

Looks like most of the models will be split in half. The open cockpit Miriya looks pretty good as does the recovery pod. I noticed a huge seam line on the Gnerl.

Thank you Wayne for taking the time to do the interview.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Video from gama show

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Thanks for the video Kryptt!

Kryptt wrote: I noticed a huge seam line on the Gnerl.

This was posted on the Kickstarter update page referencing the Spartan, but I think it might also be applicable here..?

"Note: Some of you will notice the seams, especially in the upper legs, where they are particularly wide. Because these have been assembled, disassembled, and assembled again, as well as painted with a sort of primer at some point to make details easier to see, there are glue residue and primer between some of these pieces that I just couldn't quite remove. That’s the main culprit in some of these seams being as wide and noticeable as they are. When the pieces arrived this morning, some of those seams were barely visible, if at all, and a good coat of paint should conceal them quite well."

I like what I saw in the video, but I'm no expert in minis. I did note that Wayne said these were 3-D printed, not the production models from the steel molds. Having worked for a company that used injection plastics in steel molds to make parts that needed millimeter accuracy to work, I can say the injected parts came out sharp and accurate, much sharper than any 3-D printing I have yet to see. But again, I am no expert.

Thanks again for the video, Kryptt!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Nice Video, I noticed they kept referring to the Destroids as being fragile and frail... is that because the Spartan is made up of about 30 pieces?
I hope that is because of it being Printed and not a injection molded figure...
nice to see the KS add on Phalanx and the MAC2
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

The scale also makes me worried they won't be able to produce the Middle Chapter Mecha to scale, as the VHT-1 is ~1/8th the size of the Spartan. the VHT-2 and Battle-armors are even smaller...
I hope they can produce them to scale thou, will be nice to put the power-house VHT's in perspective of how tiny they are, and how they mount more armor than the Destroids.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:The scale also makes me worried they won't be able to produce the Middle Chapter Mecha to scale, as the VHT-1 is ~1/8th the size of the Spartan. the VHT-2 and Battle-armors are even smaller...
I hope they can produce them to scale thou, will be nice to put the power-house VHT's in perspective of how tiny they are, and how they mount more armor than the Destroids.

I think those might come as one piece minis or ones with a low part count.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Is there a way to attach videos here?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1440349 ... =3&theater

http://www.robotechgamecenter.com/forum ... ?f=9&t=399

Both have some scale comparisons to give you an idea on what the above are talking about
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Thanks for the video! And ya, I have no problem with the mini's so for. People were not paying attention to what he was saying in that they are 3d printed, not the final mold pieces, etc. For the 3d prints, they look great, IMO. Can't wait to see the final ones, they will look even more great!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Turns out the Paulson mini is a 3d prototype like the spartan. It only took 5min to put it together. Only difference is how much u spend. So hopefully this should help. Considering RRT has a myriad of models it now makes more sense that PB/ND went for low res prints. So the plastic ones should look many times better. Am I happy about the fiddgity pieces or lack of non awkward walking pose parts? Yes but I'm more understanding of the 3d prints were shown. So I'm cautiously optimistic about RRT. This is a good thing.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Kryptt wrote:Turns out the Paulson mini is a 3d prototype like the spartan. It only took 5min to put it together. Only difference is how much u spend. So hopefully this should help. Considering RRT has a myriad of models it now makes more sense that PB/ND went for low res prints. So the plastic ones should look many times better. Am I happy about the fiddgity pieces or lack of non awkward walking pose parts? Yes but I'm more understanding of the 3d prints were shown. So I'm cautiously optimistic about RRT. This is a good thing.

I'm guessing the bolded part is a typo unless you are happy about awkward poses and fiddigity parts. In any case, the pics are a comparison of apples and oranges (one is a low quality fuzzy test print for a plastic sprue while the other is a high quality master for resin casting) but it does still serve an important purpose. One of those minis is mouth watering and well designed but it's not unfortunately the Macross one as I had hoped/expected. In the end, I do expect the seams to be smaller in the actual plastic versions but I also expect them to be easily visible through primer/paint unless you specifically putty the cracks and file it down (which isn't possible on some parts due to adjacent detail). It's an unfortunately unwise way to engineer the parts. That of course doesn't even include mention of the awkward (and ironic) Haters gonna Hate poses you'll be forced to use unless you do significant conversion including sculpting...
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

bielmic wrote:
Kryptt wrote:Turns out the Paulson mini is a 3d prototype like the spartan. It only took 5min to put it together. Only difference is how much u spend. So hopefully this should help. Considering RRT has a myriad of models it now makes more sense that PB/ND went for low res prints. So the plastic ones should look many times better. Am I happy about the fiddgity pieces or lack of non awkward walking pose parts? Yes but I'm more understanding of the 3d prints were shown. So I'm cautiously optimistic about RRT. This is a good thing.

I'm guessing the bolded part is a typo unless you are happy about awkward poses and fiddigity parts. In any case, the pics are a comparison of apples and oranges (one is a low quality fuzzy test print for a plastic sprue while the other is a high quality master for resin casting) but it does still serve an important purpose. One of those minis is mouth watering and well designed but it's not unfortunately the Macross one as I had hoped/expected. In the end, I do expect the seams to be smaller in the actual plastic versions but I also expect them to be easily visible through primer/paint unless you specifically putty the cracks and file it down (which isn't possible on some parts due to adjacent detail). It's an unfortunately unwise way to engineer the parts. That of course doesn't even include mention of the awkward (and ironic) Haters gonna Hate poses you'll be forced to use unless you do significant conversion including sculpting...

No not happy about the poses or the fact that we'er getting a scale model instead of a miniature but at this point in time there's nothing PB can do about. PB is in over there head on this project and will learn from this for the next one. I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation. For the seams I'll be using GWs liquid green stuff. It's what pro scale modelers use on their scale models to hide the seams.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”