Conference Room at the Hotel for Palladium Open House 2015?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Should Palladium Host a Conference Room at the Hotel in 2015?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Re: Conference Room at the Hotel for Palladium Open House 20

Unread post by Razzinold »

Jorel wrote:I also would be willing to bet that the people using the conference rooms would be willing to pay or split those costs for the use. They never mentioned it being overly expensive before and even had 2 rooms for people at the last 2 events in 2010 and 2012...but what do I know. I'd rather pay more for better accommodations.

That one is a little harder to manage I think. I mean would you have people watching the door and kicking out anyone who didn't chip in money when they happened to wander in after everyone else had already gaming for a few hours ?
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

No one is gonna kick anyone out, that is being well behaved and acting decent. Not everyone need chip in to use the room.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I think most places if they heard how Palladium fans mostly police themselves, I guess they may have been loud (I know I can be), but they fixed that quick enough. I know for a fact they clean up after themselves. So there weren't any messes for staff when people left at the end and the doors were locked. I think that is an incentive to give groups like us that use rooms like that a discount. I think that happened at the last place and now they have new management and so Palladium is looking at all alternate options.

"The Devil's among us!
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

So now we are adding over night volunteers? Who's organizing them?

These are costs normally covered by selling dealers tables.....is Palladium doing this? (If not they should...but that means someone has to organize this too)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Yes...last time people affiliated with Palladium did volunteer to game there. No one got paid to do it so that is a non issue.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

If fans cover the cost then I assume the fans doing so will provide a card for the hotel and whoever does that is gonna want someone responsible there to police things.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

TagsPB wrote:So now we are adding over night volunteers? Who's organizing them?

These are costs normally covered by selling dealers tables.....is Palladium doing this? (If not they should...but that means someone has to organize this too)

Since you have clearly never been there, please stop speculating. It does not help.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

And for the record I will organize it if need be.

"The Devil's among us!
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

For the record......the group renting the room is responsible for policing it.
For the record... Telling someone with far more experience in actually running an event like this to not speculate is the sign of a fool.

I have run an entire gaming department, first aid/loss prevention/ crowd control...and have delt with hotels at these events for 18 years (yes a year longer then the convention. I'm with has run as it took a year to plan)

When someone looks at you and says....you will need people with first aid on staff and a crowd control group (with badges to show they are with the event itself) on site -- there is a reason for this.

Conventions are not companies..... If your going to organize a volunteer group to do all this good on you.....feel free to pm me anytime with questions.

But please don't tell me that making sure everyone is aware of what's needed to do this isn't helping.
I learned the hard way that's the wrong attitude to have going in.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

TagsPB wrote:For the record......the group renting the room is responsible for policing it.
For the record... Telling someone with far more experience in actually running an event like this to not speculate is the sign of a fool.

I have run an entire gaming department, first aid/loss prevention/ crowd control...and have delt with hotels at these events for 18 years (yes a year longer then the convention. I'm with has run as it took a year to plan)

When someone looks at you and says....you will need people with first aid on staff and a crowd control group (with badges to show they are with the event itself) on site -- there is a reason for this.

Conventions are not companies..... If your going to organize a volunteer group to do all this good on you.....feel free to pm me anytime with questions.

But please don't tell me that making sure everyone is aware of what's needed to do this isn't helping.
I learned the hard way that's the wrong attitude to have going in.

For the record this isn't a full blown convention per se. It is an open house event for Palladium and Palladium alone.

I think the point Jorel is making is that past OHs have not had an issue with having a Conference room or the other items you bring up thus his comment of not chiming in since you haven't been to an open house (though I honestly have no idea if you have or not)

Sidenote - I wouldn't mind actually meeting you this year at "your" con if for no other reason just to say hi :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Their small meetings rooms and fans are cool.

The issue is really only chipping in to rent it. It's really no biggy.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I didn't think it was that big a deal and Jaymz has it correct. Dude may be over qualified to judge the needs of such a small event. I don't see myself having any kinds of questions that need PMing.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The last few times, Plymoth Clock Tower was gracious enough to let us use the rooms, and I don't know if there was a cost associated with it. But the fact that the hotel is under new management kind of leaves this option iup in the air. I trust that Kathy will find the best options for us.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Thanks for the input GK.
I think there was maybe 30-40 people that used both conference rooms in 2012 per night. I could be wrong as there was likely a lot of people that either wandered through or were out eating at different times. There was a small group of less than 10 in the one smaller room with 1 big table and there was a couple dozen in the larger room with many tables.

"The Devil's among us!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Ive actually got an ad venture in mind for the little meeting room. Nvm.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The smaller one may have had a dozen people at one point. I know Wayne Smith was even there hanging out as was NMI. The standard in that room seemed to be one group talking or one group who wanted their own space for a game. That smaller room was handy, but not a necessity. Having one room available til at least 2-3 am if not later is essential for the community. There is a lot of fun bonding that happens there. And a twisted game of Rune or 2. Was that the name of the game? I do not recall as I was not a player.

"The Devil's among us!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I voted yes but for others, not me. I am honestly more interested in meeting the people I talk to here and on Facebook over gaming to be honest. I figure I'll get the gaming in at the OH itself. Beers for after the days OH events :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Jorel wrote:The smaller one may have had a dozen people at one point. I know Wayne Smith was even there hanging out as was NMI. The standard in that room seemed to be one group talking or one group who wanted their own space for a game. That smaller room was handy, but not a necessity. Having one room available til at least 2-3 am if not later is essential for the community. There is a lot of fun bonding that happens there. And a twisted game of Rune or 2. Was that the name of the game? I do not recall as I was not a player.

RUNE? The old viking RPG?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

no...you were all Rune weapons. And some of an adult nature.

"The Devil's among us!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Jorel wrote:no...you were all Rune weapons. And some of an adult nature.

I think we just called in Carmens late night rune item game. Didnt know it actually had a name!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

my bad. But at least Palladium had an official person to run that drunkin adult game in the conference room. Otherwise who knows what might have gone on.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero

Technically speaking the conference room isn't part of the convention itself if we are paying to rent it.Then it's just a bunch of friends who all happen to be at the same hotel at the same time getting together in the same room. I know it's a mighty big coincidence that we are all there at the same time, but stranger things have happened, lol :mrgreen:

Not sure how liable Palladium is if they are the ones who book/rent it, but I do know that at passed POH they weren't concerned because, as Jorel pointed out, they booked two rooms.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

If Palladium rents it, they likely have to provide a card to cover an extra cost incurred. So they are very liable for the behavior of the fans that use it, if Palladium rents it. That is a valid point. I don't think anyone started any fires, but there was one girl last time with an e-cigarette. I wonder where that falls within the limits of the law these days.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero

Jorel wrote:If Palladium rents it, they likely have to provide a card to cover an extra cost incurred. So they are very liable for the behavior of the fans that use it, if Palladium rents it. That is a valid point. I don't think anyone started any fires, but there was one girl last time with an e-cigarette. I wonder where that falls within the limits of the law these days.

For damages maybe, but they in turn would sue the person to reclaim their money. I also meant liable for our well being, because the one person posted about first aid. If someone gets hurt in the conference room, I don't think they could go after Palladium, I think the hotel would still be liable since it's their property. Not a 100% on that though. As a Canadian I don't make it a habit to study American liability laws, lol
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Guess we'll just have to have everyone sign waivers...I kid. We'll just shoot those injured in the head first, so they do not become zombies like all the rest.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

actually...I'm pretty sure there is usually one if not several groups of people that meetup at the Palladium Open House, but then go to shooting range nearby together to shoot with other gamers.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero

Jorel wrote:actually...I'm pretty sure there is usually one if not several groups of people that meetup at the Palladium Open House, but then go to shooting range nearby together to shoot with other gamers.

I believe you are correct on that, also I applaud your anti-zombie prevention methods, wasn't that Pepsi Jedi and rat_bastard who went to the gun range ?
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Not my thing, so I have no idea all who went. I do know ratty and his buddy Mac are big gun advocates and I believe they always make it a point to go if they can help it.

"The Devil's among us!
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Jorel wrote:actually...I'm pretty sure there is usually one if not several groups of people that meetup at the Palladium Open House, but then go to shooting range nearby together to shoot with other gamers.

I read this as shoot other gamers at first.
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Lonnie was gonna take me shooting on the Sunday as I've never shot a gun before, but alas there was too little time and too much drinking! Maybe 2015...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

I voted yes. I'm not sure what PB's think behind the conference room was last time, but I know it was available at the hotel. And my wife and I got to meet and game with people like Amy Ashbaugh, Mike, Mumah, etc. So, worthwhile in my opinion.
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Most definitely! Trying to get my whole gaming group together for our yearly meeting at the Open House!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Most hotels have a 24/7 space available. I am sure that it won't be an issue for Palladium to request whatever meeting space exists at this hotel. Usually getting free meeting space isn't an issue as long as you meet the minimum room nights. Room night is how many rooms are rented for how many nights, aka if one person or four people spend three nights in one room, that's 3 room nights toward whatever minimum that Palladium and the Hotel agree upon as necessary for whatever rate and whatever meeting rooms are used.

I personally want to pack in as much Palladium flavored dice tossing as possible. I will be bringing matcha green tea as my sleep substitute. As for meet & greet, I can argue with you kids over the internet anytime! When I see you in person, I want to game!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”