Point Buy System/Playing on a Grid

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ExoKnight
D-Bee

Point Buy System/Playing on a Grid

Unread post by ExoKnight »

A couple of questions.

1. Does Palladium have a Point Buy System for Attributes? Instead of rolling you buy your stats like Pathfinder. If nothing official any fan made ones?

2. If you are playing on a 1 inch/5 foot grid how do translates speed into squares?

Thank You
"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford
Dlanaan
D-Bee

Re: Point Buy System/Playing on a Grid

Unread post by Dlanaan »

ExoKnight wrote:A couple of questions.

1. Does Palladium have a Point Buy System for Attributes? Instead of rolling you buy your stats like Pathfinder. If nothing official any fan made ones?

2. If you are playing on a 1 inch/5 foot grid how do translates speed into squares?

Thank You

1. I don't think Palladium translates well for Point Buy (given the available range of stats for humans is 3-30). I'm not familiar with any home growns, but I'll defer if someone has such a thing.

2. Palladium speed is 5 yards/pt/melee. Meaning that with a speed of 1, you will be able to travel 15 feet unimpeded in one melee (1 ft/second) or 3 1-inch squares. Divide the number of squares by attacks per melee and you have your calculation per action. Each additional point would be 3 squares per melee. Keep in mind, though, that this calculation is only if unimpeded. That said, you may want a bigger ratio (maybe 1/10 or 1/15) for your squares.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Hrm. A simple point buy for base stats would be interesting, and wouldn't be hard to work up from Pathfinder/3E/4E. From there I could see using the random rolls involved in various skills/RCCs/OCCs (if one wanted a measure of extra randomness on top of the baseline) or just going with the average or some other set number (minimum to keep down the power gaming, maximum for a high powered campaign or quest, etc).
JohnnyCanuck
D-Bee

Unread post by JohnnyCanuck »

Forar wrote:Hrm. A simple point buy for base stats would be interesting, and wouldn't be hard to work up from Pathfinder/3E/4E. From there I could see using the random rolls involved in various skills/RCCs/OCCs (if one wanted a measure of extra randomness on top of the baseline) or just going with the average or some other set number (minimum to keep down the power gaming, maximum for a high powered campaign or quest, etc).

If you look into the Bio-E system from After the Bomb (and TMNT&OS, of course!), some of the supplement books had rules for increasing/decreasing stats with the point system. Might be cool to extrapolate from that!
The NCWO: One Canada, One World.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

ExoKnight wrote:A couple of questions.

Thank You

I'm nearly ready to release the Palladium Fantasy paper miniatures packages, and the first will be a freebie with four gladiators (Elf, Dwarf, Human and Wolfen) and a simple arena set; there's a page with an abridged set of the Palladium combat rules so that people who are into paper minis and not familiar with Palladium can get a taste (this is with the freebie package, not the regular sets). Simple stat cards are provided for the gladiators and each has a movement based on their Speed attribute. The Dwarf for example has a speed of 10 which allows him to run 50 feet per attack (10 squares), or move 12 feet and attack in one attack (rounded down to two squares).

As mentioned above by Dianaan, 1 point of speed equals 15ft per melee of movement at full speed. 1/4 speed for movement and action sounds reasonable to me (1/3 speed if the running or forced march skills have been taken), hence the second option for the dwarf; once they're out they'll be an official Palladium product so the canon arguments can commence.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”