Presenting: The Radio Free Palladium Podcast!

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Presenting: The Radio Free Palladium Podcast!

Unread post by Jorel »

I'll check it tomorrow when I have more time.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Nice :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Great job! Really enjoyed it. And yes, continue, please. :ok:
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

It was alright. Not something I see myself checking out, but others may. I didn't really care for the other ones either so I guess I'm not sure what I was looking for. Atremis' is interesting enough when he does them and I have only listened to a few of those. I guess maybe I'll tune back in after you have done a few and see what it is like once you have established it a little better.

"The Devil's among us!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

1- Work from an outline.
2- Do a poll here on subjects that people are interested in.
3- Stop cutting yourself- you were clear, it was interesting, and you kept under 30 minutes (which is key)
Nice work- will keep listening.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I'll tell you right now, I enjoyed the podcast due to it's personal nature. While interviews would be nice, the personal aspect gives it that "we're aren't official and thus ruled by officiality" if that makes any sense.

Keep it up :ok:

I've shared the link on several Facebook groups as well as the three I personally run along with an off Facebook group of forums I also run on Proboards.

Edit - and shared it on the official Palladium Facebook Page

Edit 2 - Just a couple of thoughts. If you do an interview, personally I'd rather see an interview with freelance writers and artists than someone from Palladium directly. I may be in the minority for that. Also I saw a comment about not doing monologue...honestly I like that too as it let's me get a real feel for your opinion on something rather than in a conversational manner. If you were to do conversational episodes...maybe have a conversation with some of the more prolific posters here on the Forums and get their opinions on things.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

jaymz wrote:I'll tell you right now, I enjoyed the podcast due to it's personal nature. While interviews would be nice, the personal aspect gives it that "we're aren't official and thus ruled by officiality" if that makes any sense.

Keep it up :ok:

I've shared the link on several Facebook groups as well as the three I personally run along with an off Facebook group of forums I also run on Proboards.

Edit - and shared it on the official Palladium Facebook Page

Edit 2 - Just a couple of thoughts. If you do an interview, personally I'd rather see an interview with freelance writers and artists than someone from Palladium directly. I may be in the minority for that. Also I saw a comment about not doing monologue...honestly I like that too as it let's me get a real feel for your opinion on something rather than in a conversational manner. If you were to do conversational episodes...maybe have a conversation with some of the more prolific posters here on the Forums and get their opinions on things.
What would be interesting as far as getting Prolific Posters on the "show" is to get 2 or more posters that constantly conflict or who have extremely differing opinions.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Good idea NMI :ok:

The only issue would time zones.

\m/
ExoKnight
D-Bee

Unread post by ExoKnight »

Awesome Job. Keep them coming!
"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Good news.

"The Devil's among us!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Zachary The First wrote:I am pleased to report Radio Free Palladium is now available on iTunes, via their search function or the link below!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/radio-free-palladium-podcasts/id828086063

Thanks for listening! New episode this weekend!

Will be looking forward to it!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'll have to see about adding you to my iTunes podcast list now, thanks for doing this Zach. :)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

NMI wrote:What would be interesting as far as getting Prolific Posters on the "show" is to get 2 or more posters that constantly conflict or who have extremely differing opinions.

I'll do it. Wouldn't that be "fun". :P :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Power levels determining contrabution level is an illusion

I just wanted to say that your commentary about differencing levels of "power" was spot on and its something my players also have problems with. For instance, just today I had one of my players reject playing a character that they'd been making on and off for the last two days because they were "scared" that their character would be "gimped" by starting with no hand to hand skill. I tried explaining to them (albeit briefly) that there is a lot more you can contribute than that, but their retort was "It doesn't matter if I am dead within the first five minutes of the game". To which, I kind of just sighed under my breath and went back to dealing with more important life matters.

However, the reality is that combat doesnt NEED to matter and not every character NEEDS to be an amazing combatant. Yet, most players have this bizarre notion that unless they can punch down a wall... their character sucks. Unless they're "just as strong as everyone else" they are somehow lacking and as a Game Master that is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I typically say there are about three tiers of "power" in a Palladium Game, just like in comic book writing. You have the lowest tier which are essentially Spider-man, Batman, Daredevil, etc. (guys with neat powers that tackle reasonable challenges and personal conflicts), second tier (like the X-men and the Avengers, who handle larger scale conflicts and bigger than life situations regularly) and then 3rd tier stories (cosmic stories, like Silver Surfer, Green Lantern, Fantastic Four. Guys that deal with impossible scenarios). However, as you will quickly notice the tiers as listed there are not relative to power, but character concept, approach, and circumstance. For example, Batman can regularly tackle "cosmic" level threats as a member of the Justice League. However, in his own books (in his own stories) that ISN'T typically what Batman is all about and that ISN'T what makes Batman stories interesting.

However, players often struggle with this. Especially those players who fixate so much on the system as a set of rules and mechanics like a board game, instead of a latticework of guidelines to measure their limits and the limits of "reality". So, to these players who consider NPCs "kills" just waiting to happen or the art of RPG "the way to feel larger than life" you run into problems and arguments. Now, thankfully I do not typically have problems with my group. Normally everyone has a pretty good time. However, in the last two or three sessions it has been difficult keeping everyone on the same page because they've all started to compete with one another. Which ties into what I was saying above about the "No Hand to Hand skill factor" I mentioned above. Such a character (especially a master psychic as he was going to be) can offer a great deal to story. They can contribute in a number of ways. Heck, the fact that (for whatever mad reason) the character was a hideous wheelchair-bound freak... creates stories and interesting Role-Playing scenarios for me as a Game Master. Because he was wheelchair bound he would very likely have a number of intellectual skills that other characters didn't.

I mean, sure the heavy-hitters have a place but when I have to spend 5-10 minutes filing through the player's various player character's finding the character that can "fit" the adventure is evidence enough that for all their power, something is still missing. Its so hard to explain that to the players though. Everyone is supposed to be a team. I set up a number of challenges and quite often my players will get frustrated and try defaulting to "violence" or as you said "plasma grenades" because often the character with the talent or the ability to handle a situation doesn't recognize its their time to shine or has tried to rush into combat and is injured. Again, I think you cover this well when you talk about Zatana and Black Canary, you are EXACTLY right.

However, "players" often don't seem to factor this in. They seem to think that unless they're "badass" or "good fighters" they have a flawed or boring character. So thanks for letting me get all this off my chest and helping me think it through and hash it out a bit more because I now know what I need to talk through with everyone. I mean, its "fun" but I'd love it if "every game" worked like a well-oiled machine instead of just sometimes.
Last edited by Akashic Soldier on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

NMI wrote:What would be interesting as far as getting Prolific Posters on the "show" is to get 2 or more posters that constantly conflict or who have extremely differing opinions.

Challenge accepted... And I would stick to only palladium topics such as rules and settings
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Dr. Shiny wrote:I'm hoping for an episode on GM prep at some point. Also, when are we gonna hear the results of the rifts power and quality survey?

Seconded.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Just finished your latest podcast and I thought the 2 species you brought up were interesting though they both seemed to denote a certain preference of yours for races. Not in a bad way, but they did have a similar 'feel' about them. But I thought you brought up some good points about both of them.

I'll also toss out a technical note. Your intro music sounds nice but seemed to be a good level louder then your actual podcast and I had to jack the volume up to hear/understand you compared to the intro level of sound.

Daniel Stoker
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Zachary The First wrote:Episode 6: Of Quillbacks and Vrill, is up!

In Episode 6, we look at two forgotten great races for your Palladium games! The Quillback and Vrill races are both featured and reviewed for potential use for your next campaign or character, be it Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, or Heroes Unlimited! Thanks for listening!

http://radiofreepalladium.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/episode-6-of-quillbacks-and-vrill/

http://archive.org/details/RadioFreePalladiumEpisode6

(Note: I did go ahead with the planned change to the biweekly format. We'll try it for a few shows and see if that works, or if it's back to weekly).

During a recent trip through the Baalgor Wastelands my group was treated to exposures to both races! The Quillbacks were not warmly received (too similar to Hytrils, in their mind, and they had a very bad Hytril experience) but they loved their Vrill guide! Nice work on them- really enjoyed this podcast.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Checking in from Tekko 2014 in Pittsburgh hope you guys are having a good time.
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Another good podcast and I still find the poll results interesting. I did want to say one thing about Spirit West and the Laser Bow and why it gets so much press and hate. I know for me it's not the Laser Bow that ruined the book (Because it had a ton of problems) but it's a simple item that you can easily point to in the book that showcases some of the worst problems with Palladium. The desire to make regional groups act in stereotypical ways for no good reason "Oh I'm an Indian, I will have special powers where I break out and song to defeat my enemies!" (Damn you Bollywood!), and a "Wait what now? You do know that makes no sense technically right?" when they decide to jam in a cultural stereotype because it's 'cool' and you get a laser weapon that because of a motor powered by a bowstring you can now generate enough energy to create a laser blast all on your own when where still paying thousands of dollars to recharge e-clips.

Daniel Stoker
Daniel Stoker
Knight

NP Zach, I just thought I'd try to explain that while it's pointed to as an example it's not like that is the one item that ruins a whole book, but it's the style of writing that gives us something like the laser bow that upsets people.

But either way I'm really enjoying your podcasts and while we totally need more focus on Heroes Unlimited I've enjoyed all of them so far.

Daniel Stoker
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Very cool, I can't wait to see what you do then. :)

Daniel Stoker
rmckee78
D-Bee

Unread post by rmckee78 »

I'd like to hear some After the Bomb stuff. I just ran my first ever game of After the Bomb as a one shot and had a lot of fun.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I'm 2 behind, got them both now and hope to listen to them tomorrow.

Daniel Stoker

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”