Physical Book Quality

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Physical Book Quality

Unread post by Jorel »

I have a few books from them from the 80s in pristine condition
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I have copies of almost every book palladium has ever made many of them spent a lot of time in my backpack or locker back when I was in highschool and I took like zero care of my stuff and just mashed things in this way and that. Even today decades later all the books are still in good shape. I have never had a palladium book fall apart or lose pages or cracked binding. The plastic layer over the covers has protected them well from spills and stuff very effectively.

I am not sure who their printing company is and if they have used the same one all along or not but whoever they have used now and in the past has done a tremendously good job of making a really solid durable product.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I have a copy of the Palladium Fantasy RPG with the original Black cover, and original insanity chart, which is soo old and worn (1986) that there is a physical rut on the book where hands have thumbed through the pages.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Jorel wrote:I have a few books from them from the 80s in pristine condition

Same here. 8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I've only had problems with one title. I don't know if there was something done different for this one book, but every other Palladium product is great.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

I had one book in my entire collection deteriorate and when I bought a replacement the same thing happened leading me to believe it was a batch problem.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
The Galactus Kid

Josh Hilden wrote:I had one book in my entire collection deteriorate and when I bought a replacement the same thing happened leading me to believe it was a batch problem.

I had this same problem with the product I mentioned above.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Which one?

"The Devil's among us!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Most of the ones that gave me any issues are the ones that were owned by others before I got them.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I've bought books both new and used and the only problems I've had is one of the corners the plastic is just starting to peel (and it was one of my first books), I bent one of the corners of a book (but that was my fault because of how it was stored in a moving box for months) and one has some staining on some pages because my buddy knocked over a 600ml bottle of Coke on it (but I've still had that book for like 18 years).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only book I've had problems with the binding is the 1st printing of AU:GG. My book is falling apart as the starship construction rules. ;)

The only two books I got replacements for are the HU2 MB cause I wore it out and the binding was coming apart. Then I got the NB MB cause my NS MB was getting to a point that the pages were getting slightly dogeared.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:I had one book in my entire collection deteriorate and when I bought a replacement the same thing happened leading me to believe it was a batch problem.

Mine is the exact opposite. All of my books have fallen apart, save for just a few. Laminate peeling by far is the worst.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Tiree wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Mine is the exact opposite. All of my books have fallen apart, save for just a few. Laminate peeling by far is the worst.

I still want to know which book.

"The Devil's among us!
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Jorel wrote:
Tiree wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

I still want to know which book.

My 2nd RDF Manual and the Zentraedi Sourcebook. the first RDF Manual would have been fine, but I lent it to a friend, and he bent the spine of the book so badly it deteriorated the book. I used some great tape to hold it together till I got a new book 15 years later. All my books have huge wear and tear on them since they were used tremendously from my teens into my lat 20's. Now 90% are stored in a giant container, since I don't have room in my house for them to be up.

But nearly all - have had the covers peel right at the center of cover along the opening edge - right where I handle the book. At this point in my life, I wonder if I have some sort of acid on my hands that cause it.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

My question is more directed at Brandon and Josh. I'm wondering if their problem was with the same book.

"The Devil's among us!
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Mine was Rifts Sourcebook One
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I do recall seeing more than a few of that book with the pealed cover, but never with the spine falling apart. I think use has a lot to do with the deterioration of the covers though some peal much easier than others.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

Mine was first printing of Splicers Main Book. I believe this has been fixed.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Interesting

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

I'm with you Zachary. My books have been to hell (New Jersey) and back and have held up great.

Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

My books have held up great. Some of the plastic is pealed, but that's likely do to weather, and if they spent more time on the shelf they'd be fine. Some of my books are at the point they should be recycled, but they've been used/abused to death. My RMB Special Edition hardcover is in good condition, but I treat it gently, because it's getting to the point it's spine is weak, and the spot on the pages I always touch to turn them is warped/stained by my fingers after constant use.

That all said, I have books on my shelf printed 100+ years ago in solid condition as well. The moral is, if you take care of them, they last fine.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

I think weather has a lot to do with it also. I live in California, all the books I bought in California have pretty much deteriorated over time. While books I picked up in the South held up a bit better, except for the ones that were destroyed due to water damage in my car.
The Galactus Kid

Tiree wrote:...except for the ones that were destroyed due to water damage in my car.

That is terrible man. I had some destroyed by water damage in my old house. I lost a gold, numbered Machinations of Doom, among other titles.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:My books have held up great. Some of the plastic is pealed, but that's likely do to weather, and if they spent more time on the shelf they'd be fine. Some of my books are at the point they should be recycled, but they've been used/abused to death. My RMB Special Edition hardcover is in good condition, but I treat it gently, because it's getting to the point it's spine is weak, and the spot on the pages I always touch to turn them is warped/stained by my fingers after constant use.

That all said, I have books on my shelf printed 100+ years ago in solid condition as well. The moral is, if you take care of them, they last fine.

Hehe the one funny thing about the cover laminate stuff is in the summer if the humidity is high I kinda have to cycle which book is on top of my piles because those covers make a pretty good humidity detector as they curl amusingly if the room humidity gets to hot. It does not damage the cover and they go back to normal as soon as the humidity drops again.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I almost lost some to water damage when a fish tank busted above one of my crates but thank god the spine was pointing up and they were elevated in the crate enough that the water that hit them basically just shed instantly off the laminate covering and out the bottom without pooling and I just wiped the covers off stuck them in front of a fan for a few minutes and now you could not pick out the books that it happened to from my collection.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

I have to say though, that I've never owned an RPG book that was WORSE quality than Palladium's either. Not that Palladium books are not good quality, I have no complaints, but the books I have from other game systems from the same time are all equally well put together. The only exception would be hardcover books (like some of my old White Wolf titles) weakening/sagging at the binding, but this happened to my RIFTS special edition hardcover a well, and is an issue of hardcovers rather than any specific brand.

I have heard that the physical quality of the books was a selling point for them once, but by the time I got into the game that didn't seem to be a difference (a dozen years ago or so?).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:I have to say though, that I've never owned an RPG book that was WORSE quality than Palladium's either. Not that Palladium books are not good quality, I have no complaints, but the books I have from other game systems from the same time are all equally well put together. The only exception would be hardcover books (like some of my old White Wolf titles) weakening/sagging at the binding, but this happened to my RIFTS special edition hardcover a well, and is an issue of hardcovers rather than any specific brand.

I have heard that the physical quality of the books was a selling point for them once, but by the time I got into the game that didn't seem to be a difference (a dozen years ago or so?).

I have had problems with a lot of D&D hard covers over time. Many had problems with glue that cracked and pages that fell out all throughout the second and third edition of the game.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Zachary The First wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:I have to say though, that I've never owned an RPG book that was WORSE quality than Palladium's either. Not that Palladium books are not good quality, I have no complaints, but the books I have from other game systems from the same time are all equally well put together. The only exception would be hardcover books (like some of my old White Wolf titles) weakening/sagging at the binding, but this happened to my RIFTS special edition hardcover a well, and is an issue of hardcovers rather than any specific brand.

Oh my goodness, I have. Both my early Traveller and Conan books from Mongoose had pages fall out, GODLIKE had the same issue with their first run, and Dresden Files had a glue issue on the binding. I've also had a couple of print-on-demand books at Lulu be a bit sketchy in print quality (although some were not, to be fair)

I think bindings are better now across the hobby, but it's still something I worry about when I buy a book--I want to know the print/binding quality is solid.

I have had only one non-palladium book fall apart this badly, and that was my first copy of World of Synnibarr. It was a used copy from the GM, and was well used by him, and then I put it through the wringer. I normally don't crack or bend spines, so spine damage is never a problem - unless the book has been in another person's hands.

But I had some amazing tape with fiber strands in it. With that, it allowed the book to survive another 20 something years.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I was lucky to avoid any books being damaged by water. When we first moved to our townhouse we didn't know that the basement floods (the wife and I have now fixed this problem) but when the basement flooded we lost a lot of stuff. We lost electronics (luckily they were not plugged in so no fires), furniture and some books that belonged to our kids.

Luckily for me my Rifts collection was stored in the garage and not the basement, not so lucky for my computer, dvd player, and their books.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Environment is definitely a factor; I've never had one of my books fall apart, although like many have said some of them have had the plastic peeling off (my 1990 first printing of RMB is in a leather book cover for this reason). The only book I've had get in seriously bad condition was a copy of the RIFTS Book of Magic that I foolishly loaned to a friend of a friend who was supposed to play a magic user in my RIFTS game but never showed. After a month of harrassing the friend he finally got the book back for me and it looked like hell. It wreaked of cigarette smoke, and my best guess is that he left it on the floor of his car after spilling a soda on it and leaving the window open overnight in a rainstorm. It still gets my hackles up to look at that book, since I have books that look mint despite regular use that are ten years older than the cretin who destroyed it.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i have picked up a lot of my books used but most were and still are in fair to good condition
the older main books have a bit of pealing sometimes, maybe a few corners bent up just a little all in all i'm fine with that (if i had the money sure i'd buy mint copy's of them all , but as is i still don't even have all the books i want so "good" copy's will have to wait while i read and use all mine)

the only bad copy i just got (in brooklyn NYC and all my stuff is in toronto) is the revised SB1, off of ebay and i noticed some slight bent look in the picture but wrote it off ...got it a few days ago and the water damage is so bad it looks like it was left in a bathtub or something, and the seller had a bunch for sale that looked in similar or worse condition with no mention of it

and looking around and getting back into collecting rifts more again , it's hard to remember how old some of the books are just because of how well they hold up
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I have to the only book in bad shape is my old robotech book two rdf manual and the is mainly the spine but both cover are still in great shape
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The only book from Palladium that I've had fall apart on me was Sonic Boom.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Hotrod wrote:The only book from Palladium that I've had fall apart on me was Sonic Boom.

Ooh...I forgot about that one. It got me too! Is that the one with the wrong version sent to the printer and the words are jumbled up in spots?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

correct

"The Devil's among us!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”