Purifiers (Serial FanFic)

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Re: Purifiers (Serial FanFic)

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Apologies for the extended delay. I had some in real life problems that needed to get sorted out before I could focus on writing (real life had to take priority), but I'm back now. The next scene (Chapter 3, Scene 2) is now up! This scene is a fair bit of combat. Originally I was going to cut it (to avoid bogging the story down with unnecessary combat), but I realized as I tried to write the next scenes that this one had several (small) important tidbits in it, and the following scenes (extending into future chapters) wouldn't make as much sense without it.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-2.htm

For those interested, I already have several pages done for Scenes 3 & 4 of this chapter. In fact, I had wanted to finish them both before March, but just didn't make it. Since I'm late though, I'll say Scene 3 will get more into individual motivations for joining the group, and Scene 4 will be a confrontation/debate between Q'Uetel (Elf) and Bastiel the Empty (Dwarf). You may see hints of why in Scene 2, but is it what you think? You'll have to stay tuned to find out. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Love the web site.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, a little later than the first of the month, but it is still the first weekend of the month (and I have the most free time on the weekends). So here's the latest update:

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-3.htm

That's Chapter 3, Scene 3, and here we'll start to see some of the various motivations of our characters for joining. As for the delay, I really wanted to finish Scene 4. I just couldn't get into it enough, though I do have it more or less written out now, and I just need to go through it and add some flavor text, clean up the dialogue, and splice the various pieces together (I wrote different segments at different times). I'm not sure how long that'll take, but I honestly hope (no promises) to have Scene 4 finished and posted by next weekend. If not, it'll have to get pushed back to my May release. I really want to get started on Chapter 4 though, and I'm hoping to knock Scene 4 out so I can start Chapter 4 by May. We'll see.

As an apology for being late, I'll add some of my thoughts on the characters and reasons for the rather sizable cast (in a spoiler tag, though no specific spoilers are given, just for those who don't care or don't want to waste time scrolling through it can avoid it).
Spoiler:
So as many have noticed (and noted), the cast is pretty large! We're talking 11 main characters, 13 if we're counting Pax and Fenix (I usually don't as I consider them a part of Haven, and count all 3 of them as 1). Anyways, I figured I'd state my reasons for it.

1: As this project is to help me develop as a writer, I figured more characters would mean more challenge. While it'll start off rougher, I hope by the end I'll have learned a lot! That's my goal anyways.

2: I really wanted to get more into the tension between Elf and Dwarf and how it's affecting the team as a whole. If I just had 2 Elves and 2 Dwarves though, that dynamic just wouldn't come across the same. As a result, I wanted a larger cast. I settled on 9 characters, 4 Elves and 4 Dwarves. Wait ... you said 11 characters! Yeah, about that ... I had settled on 9, but I came up with a new storyline and that led to Mancer and K'Ulnar. Both were late add-ons, but I liked the story, the dynamic, and their personalities really just came together for me! Out of all the cast, they're possibly two of the easiest for me to write for, though as late add-ons I sometimes forget they exist and forget to include them in scenes (like Chapter 3, Scene 2 ... I forgot all about them until after I posted the scene).

3: Even though it's starting off large, I'll make this declaration now: Not all of the characters will make it to the end of the story. Does that mean they'll be killed off, retire, or leave for some other reason? I'll let the story tell you that as it unfoldds. However, by the end of the story, the cast will be smaller.

As a result of the large cast though, I still struggle with some of the characters. E'Sarinn is probably the main character, if I had to pick one. I really understand him well. However, there will be changes to him, and sometimes it's hard for me to keep who he is now (at the start of the story) separate from where I want to go with him (in the future). As I said with Mancer and K'Ulnar, they just really came together in my mind. H'Dargoyn ... well, I had the basics for him, but he's been coming together better than I expected as a character. I think he's actually my fiance's favorite. Go figure.

You haven't met Z'Xen yet. She's really a more secondary/support character. We'll see more of her in the future (I do have plans for her character), but not sure how much (and since I haven't had to write for her much, I can't tell you how easy or hard her character will be).

In contrast to those, Kendroll is probably one of the hardest for me to write for! I view him as a necessary character. For one, he helps offset Z'Xen (the young dwarf to balance out the young Elf). He'll also help shape events in the future. While I know his story, his personality has never come together for me. I struggle with him. I hope to get that worked out in the future, but no promises. In fact, I was so clueless about him I even started this thread several months back to help me figure it out. After reading Scene 3, this question/thread will make more sense if you know it's Kendroll: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140267

Almost all the characters will play a critical role in one story or another. So I hope you enjoy the cast and bear with its size while you enjoy the ride.
Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I said I would try, and looks like I succeeded. Chapter 3, Scene 4 is now up on the site.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-4.htm

As stated, this scene will be primarily between Q'Uetel and Bastiel (we get to see what he is a bit more and how he learned it). I haven't had time to proofread it really (just finished it today), but wanted to post it this weekend. Now, I get to start Chapter 4 for the start of May! Chapter 4, Scene 1 will probably be short (the month is already almost half over). Chapter 4 will involve the mysterious rune hammer wielding Dwarf we see at the start of Chapter 3, and will also reveal more about one of our heroes (but which one?!). Hope you enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Just browsed through, looks like it's time for me buckle down and read it through proper like. It definitely has peeked my interest.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, based on the suggestion from kiralon (on these forums, but not this thread), I've rewritten the last segment (basically the entire section I had been stumped on for days before I posted).

Everything after: Bastiel replies, "No. My greatest limitation is morality. Our two empires cast away their morality and look at where it led them. That is where the belief in no limits leads." has been replaced (some minor adjustments, some more major).

That's the last 6 paragraphs (previously only 4). Hope you enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Keep at it, Prysus.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as much as i hate to say it, this thread might better belong in the Palladium fantasy forum.. it's not really focused on the company of PB. plus it might attract some extra attention to that part of the forums. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

glitterboy2098 wrote:as much as i hate to say it, this thread might better belong in the Palladium fantasy forum.. it's not really focused on the company of PB. plus it might attract some extra attention to that part of the forums. :)

Greetings and Salutations. Indeed, and that is why it's posted there as well (the rules say the two most appropriate forums). I included it here as well because...

1: Though it's a PF setting, I include elements from Rifts and other settings. I wouldn't include it in those forums, but it is composed if all things Palladium. Note: So far I've included lots from PF, some Rifter stuff, some Rifts material (primarily spells, but also an O.C.C. for one of the characters), stuff from my site, and material I made up just for this story. Though I may have included stuff from other settings that I've already forgotten

2: Fans (not just of PF) have suggested Palladium do more stories and novels. While this is by no means official, I do what little I can.

3: As a story, you don't need to be a fan of PF to appreciate it.

I approached the matter as logically as I could. If Palladium or the moderators decide it is out of place here, then they have my permission (not that they need it) to remove it and/or combine it with the thread in the PF forums. Thank you for your time and consideration, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

To the mods since this isn't the fantasy section could you please move it to the appropriate sub forum? Or is it only select threads that get moved?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Chapter 4, Scene 1 is now up on the site. Kind of short since I only had half a month to finish it up (also I was working on some other major changes to my site, included in the Spoiler tag below). This scene is mostly more character interaction and sets up the next scene.

http://prysus.com/purifiers_c4-1.htm

Note: Due to another project arising on me, the updates to the Purifier story may remain small (a page or two only). I want to keep updating it, but I will need to divide my attention to the other project as well. Hopefully you all understand.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the latest scene. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Spoiler:
Below is a copy & paste regarding the latest update from my site: www.prysus.com

Recent Changes (05/02/2014): Greetings and Salutations. Whew! I'm beat. In addition to starting a job at a new location (still a temp, but tend to work extended contracts), I've been doing work for updates to this site since Sunday. That's almost a full week straight! While that may not sound like much (hey, only a week, right?), keep in mind I don't get paid for this, I do work full-time, I'm engaged, etc. This is what I do in my free time, and I'm exhausted. But enough complaining and onto the updates, and there are a lot of them!

First, I started Chapter 4, Scene 1 in my Purifiers fan fic. This was expected, so no big surprise there. I also included content from a fan who submitted to me! Wow! I must admit that was pretty cool. Thanks Fred Wong! He has two (2) submissions in the Artwork page, and also submitted a character sheet to go with the character. The character he submitted went up on the Characters page.

Wait, what Characters page you ask? Exactly! There's a new link on the Setting Info page called "Characters." Click it, and it'll take you to a page full of character sheets. If I counted correctly, that's 33 character sheets! Most of those are for PF, but a few for other settings as well. The character sheet submitted by Fred Wong really inspired me and, well, here we are. So an extra special thanks to Fred Wong again! But wait, there's more. Since I went and put up 33 new character sheets, I figured I had to do something else, right? I included 8 of the new character sheets into a special PDF file on the Downloads page. The character sheets don't see much change, but there's a few minor tweaks, an extra picture, and all of them are tied together through a single influential lord (no stats for the lord included) within the Eastern Territory.

That's close to 40 new items on my website in the last week! Like I said, I'm exhausted. Took a while, but I finally got there. There is some other news. As some of you know, I've been working on a Land of the South Winds project. That kind of took a detour due to real life (moving, getting married, looking for work, etc.). Well, due to recent communications with Palladium (also within this last week), I'll be starting work on this again very soon! In fact, the main reason I haven't started yet is because I've been working on all these other updates. So more updates to the site might take a backseat for a while. Also, while I intend to continue with the Purifiers serial, the updates/scenes may start being shorter for a while due to dividing my writing attentions. Hopefully you all understand and bear with me. Okay, that's enough rambling for now. Just that so much happened it was hard to keep it brief. Farewell and safe journeys until next update. Note: Hey, I've been doing so many updates this week I'm not sure I linked everything. If you find something I mentioned missing (as in no links to find it), or a link doesn't work or something, let me know. I think I checked them all, but you never know.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Next scene is now up, that's Chapter 4 (Scene 2). For the most part I continue where I left off in Scene 1, and Scene 3 will mostly pick up where Scene 2 leaves off. Really, all of Chapter 4 is one big scene broken up into smaller ones due to time constraints. Hope you don't mind.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-2.htm

I also gave the Purifiers its own page. So if you want to flip easily between the scenes I've added this page for it:

http://www.prysus.com/story_purifiers.htm

I think this helps give the Purifiers story a little extra attention and focus, while not allowing it to overwhelm the Stories page where it had been previously located (a link to the Purifer page can still be found on the Stories page).

If you're curious as to what's been taking up more of my time, I've made an update discussing my work on other proejcts here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137624&p=2790544#p2790544

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Sweet, I share my name with a powerfull Rune Hammer of "Smash Stuff!"
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Ruiner wrote:Sweet, I share my name with a powerfull Rune Hammer of "Smash Stuff!"

:lol:

Glad you approve, and thanks for reading. :ok: Have a great day.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. These updates are getting a little later and a little later in the month, aren't they? Well, next month might be no update at all. Life is a little busy, and for those that didn't know I'm getting married at the end of the month, and preparations and such is taking up time. For that reason, there may be no update next month (I'll try, but don't count on it). So the next update may not be until September. But enough on what I'm not doing, and let's focus on what I have done. Chapter 4, Scene 3 is now up! I had tried to finish the chapter this month, but ever after writing today I realized I was only halfway through my notes for this chapter and that means it still had a while to go. I realized I had a while to go, so I tried to stop at a good point.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-3.htm

That's all for now. Hope you've been enjoying the story so far, and hope you continue doing so well into the future. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Dreamstreamer
Wanderer

Unread post by Dreamstreamer »

Prysus wrote:
Well, next month might be no update at all. Life is a little busy, and for those that didn't know I'm getting married at the end of the month, and preparations and such is taking up time.

Congratulations!
A billion years is too short a time to accomplish everything you can imagine, for imagination is infinite.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. No update last month (or any other writing for a month and a half really) for reasons already stated, but I've returned. I finished Chapter 4, Scene 4 earlier this week, and just barely put it up on my site right now. This concludes Chapter 4, and next month (October) will begin Chapter 5 in the aftermath of these events, with further explanations on some of the events we see here. As always, feedback appreciated. Enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-4.htm

The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Keep 'em coming Prysus. I really enjoy reading this stuff. :ok:
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Ruiner wrote:Keep 'em coming Prysus. I really enjoy reading this stuff. :ok:

Greetings and Salutations. Glad you're enjoying, and continuing is the plan. :ok:

Next update should be in two weeks (maybe a couple of days more as I tend to do it on the first weekend of every month). Chapter 5 will be a lot of small little scenes focusing on various characters as they deal with the events in Chapter 4 in different ways. Chapter 5 will be shorter than the previous chapters (I think), but transitions between Chapters 4 & 6 while learning a bit more about some of our cast (including more details on the history of the Dwarf who attacked them). Not sure if I'll write it out as one long chapter though (the whole thing this month), or break it up into multiple small scenes (spread out over multiple months). Depends on how much time I put into writing this one, among my other obligations. Farewell and safe journeys until then.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'm tired and frustrated (updating my site will do that), but didn't want to put this off any longer since I didn't update last month. Long story short: I did some writing on my PF manuscript, but at the end of the month something came up in real life. Long story short: Started off minor, turned into something major, then back to something minor that should be fine as long as we keep an eye on the situation. The most I'll say is everything is fine, no worries, just caused a temporary shift in focus.

I had wanted to make a BIG update to make up for it, but I've really been busy with that PF manuscript (see the Spoilers thread for more details). As such, only a small scene this month. Note: I also added some new material to my site, but I haven't updated my main page, messed up a few of the layouts, and too tired to fix that all tonight (I should be doing so tomorrow ... I hope). I was just going to finish all the updates at once, but I really don't want to keep putting off the update to my Purifiers so here we go (without further ado).

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c5-1.htm

Enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, it's been a couple of months, so I guess it's time I address the current situation. For those that want a brief version: I might not update the story for a few months.

Long version: For those that don't know I've been having some problems with my website, primarily in updating it. When I first made it in like 2002 (maybe earlier?) I used FrontPage (FP). I continued using it when I did my revamp a few years ago. My web host stopped supporting it. The computer I had FP installed on is dying, I can't find the disk with the product key, there's various complaints about it not producing compatable coding (in general, not specifically about my site), etc. We've been at the point that it now takes me an hour (or more) to update a single page. Actually, the last update took like 3 or 4 hours, left me with a headache, and I realized after the fact I forgot to update 2 or 3 pages. Ugh ...

So I've been looking into some replacement options. After some browsing, looks like I'm going to settle on Dreamweaver (I really don't like the subscription to the Creative Cloud, but seems like the program will still be my best option) and have a template to help out. When I'm done, my site should get a new face lift (the way I've wanted to make it look years ago), be MUCH easier to update, and allow me to make various other changes. The problem is that I actually have to LEARN how to use Dreamweaver better, and I also need to then update every page to the site. This will probably take a couple (or more) months. My apologies to all involved, but I do truly believe this is for the best in the long term. I know a little bit about coding, but only a little bit and most of this will be new ground for me with a steep learning curve. I hope you all understand.

Note: While the update to the site is the major reason for the delay, I will admit that after I finished my manuscript project (still in editing), my creative juices took a vacation. With the Purifiers, I can force myself when I want, but motivation has been an added problem. That's lead to this seemingly being the perfect time to update my site.

Thank you all for your time and interest, and please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Have used your site for years, as you know, and hope that you can fix it to be a happy and productive Prysus.2!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I started a new poll regarding the future of this fan fic over in the PF Forums. To avoid double voting the best I can, I'm just providing a link here. Thanks for reading. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=148336

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”