Hire a GM or Pay to Play system?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hire a GM or Pay to Play system?

Unread post by Tick »

I know a lot of experienced DM/GM and players are on this server so I wanted to ask this question.
Is it time to have a pay to play or Hire a GM/DM system in place?
I've run into so many flaky GM/DM that don't show up or Players that don't commit or show up that I'm a little cranky about people and their lack of commitment. Should a non-refundable fee be put in place? Should people commit time and money to secure a GM/DM?
Any and all feedback welcome on this question.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Hire a GM or Pay to Play system?

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I believe pay to play is a terrible idea. I started playing in 1980. It was just friends having fun for free after the initial purchase of rules and dice. I would have zero interest in paying for something that has been free all this time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
pestigor
Wanderer
Comment: The game group as a whole is always right. If you’re not having fun then YOU ARE doing it wrong.

Unread post by pestigor »

I went to a convention years ago that had serious issues with people signing up for games and then not showing up.
The next year they put a system in place where to sign up for a game you gave a dollar, the organizer then gave the GM all the dollars for the people that signed up and when they showed up, they got their dollar back (this was early 90's so I could see a 5$ being a deposit now or something).
Rift's,the Death Metal of roleplaying since 1990.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Tick wrote:I know a lot of experienced DM/GM and players are on this server so I wanted to ask this question.
Is it time to have a pay to play or Hire a GM/DM system in place?

Oh my, no... the LAST thing you want to have if you're there to have fun is a DM/GM who regards being there to run the session as a job or a chore. If you have to pay a DM/GM to be there when they don't want to be, they're not going to put in the effort necessary to make the game fun and interesting. Even a DM/GM who wants to be a DM/GM will find the fun has gone out of it if they're stuck with players that they just can't get on with, running the game will become a chore. 30 GOTO 10.

Tick wrote:I've run into so many flaky GM/DM that don't show up or Players that don't commit or show up that I'm a little cranky about people and their lack of commitment.

That, I think, it just the inevitability of growing older. It's easy to organize a game and keep to a regular schedule when you're still in school and everyone has a fixed schedule and a fair amount of free time. The organizational difficulty goes up if the players are adults with day jobs and romantic and/or family obligations. It's pretty much inevitable that it'll be harder to find a regular block of free time which works for everyone.

A modest deposit might not be a bad idea for games that are being run at an event like a convention, just to make sure attendees don't book seats at multiple tables they don't intend to attend... but is probably a terrible idea for casual play.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
kennethk
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by kennethk »

I would never ask for payment to GM nor would I ever pay to play. Now you can bribe me with food, that is completely acceptable.

I see no issue with refundable deposit for a seat at a table for a con. I have seen and experienced a few times a fully booked table where only two people showed up.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, deposit system at a convention or similar setting seems fine. elsewhere, i'm not a fan. the moment i start paying you to be my DM, i become your boss and now you "owe" me something... that is not conducive to anyone's fun, imo.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

How about a business that has a themed restaurant upstairs and downstairs; a LAN, Arcade, tabletop area (with rentable scenery) a small game shop and say six themed rooms for rent, two each fantasy, modern, sci-fi, and rentable GMs on call if you need one?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Zer0 Kay wrote:How about a business that has a themed restaurant upstairs and downstairs; a LAN, Arcade, tabletop area (with rentable scenery) a small game shop and say six themed rooms for rent, two each fantasy, modern, sci-fi, and rentable GMs on call if you need one?

But does the restaurant serve nachos? That's my main question!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:How about a business that has a themed restaurant upstairs and downstairs; a LAN, Arcade, tabletop area (with rentable scenery) a small game shop and say six themed rooms for rent, two each fantasy, modern, sci-fi, and rentable GMs on call if you need one?

But does the restaurant serve nachos? That's my main question!

Only themed Nachos. :p
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I believe pay to play is a terrible idea. I started playing in 1980. It was just friends having fun for free after the initial purchase of rules and dice. I would have zero interest in paying for something that has been free all this time.

Thanks for the feed back!
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

pestigor wrote:I went to a convention years ago that had serious issues with people signing up for games and then not showing up.
The next year they put a system in place where to sign up for a game you gave a dollar, the organizer then gave the GM all the dollars for the people that signed up and when they showed up, they got their dollar back (this was early 90's so I could see a 5$ being a deposit now or something).

Great feedback!
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Fantastic concept!
Thanks for the feed back!
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Wow Great feed back!

Lots to consider. I have a good game group but trying to start a group or introduce players to Palladium books is tough if the products are not on shelves. So I'm looking for options and feed back.

Thank you all.

Lots to consider. I look forward to more feed back if anyone would like to share their perspectives.
Shark_Force
Palladin

look up "board game cafe". i don't know how big of a city you're in, but the one i'm in apparently has 3 of them, and they're more or less what you describe (minus the rentable GM). i suppose not all would have RPG stuff, but i would suspect that most consider it to be close enough to count :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:

look up "board game cafe". i don't know how big of a city you're in, but the one i'm in apparently has 3 of them, and they're more or less what you describe (minus the rentable GM). i suppose not all would have RPG stuff, but i would suspect that most consider it to be close enough to count :P

Doesn't seem like very themed food nor are there private themed rooms, nor an arcade, nor tables large enough for wargames, nor scenery, nor a collection of computers so you and your friends can dominate at team FPS because you can give commands around the table and act like a real unit more so than just using voice... I sure wouldn't mind checking it out though. So it more like what I described minus everything except themed food, games for sale and a place to play so 2.5 out of 7 that's still an F but hey, it's better than not existing at all.

Thanks for letting me know about that.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Doesn't seem like very themed food nor are there private themed rooms, nor an arcade, nor tables large enough for wargames, nor scenery, nor a collection of computers so you and your friends can dominate at team FPS because you can give commands around the table and act like a real unit more so than just using voice... I sure wouldn't mind checking it out though. So it more like what I described minus everything except themed food, games for sale and a place to play so 2.5 out of 7 that's still an F but hey, it's better than not existing at all.

the ones around here may or may not have any or all of those things actuallly. i don't think we have a themed food one, per se (if there is a theme to the food, it is probably more along the lines of "stuff people like to eat when they're gaming"), but we definitely have ones with private rooms, large tables, games for sale, places to play, and possibly scenery. not sure on the computers either... they might have wifi that you can use for looking stuff up, but they are board game cafes, not so much generalized gaming cafes, at least here. but they could have them... i haven't looked into every one in my home town in depth. but again, i do know for certain that at least some of the boardgame cafes around here have at least some of those things you mentioned.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

the ones around here may or may not have any or all of those things actuallly. i don't think we have a themed food one, per se (if there is a theme to the food, it is probably more along the lines of "stuff people like to eat when they're gaming"), but we definitely have ones with private rooms, large tables, games for sale, places to play, and possibly scenery. not sure on the computers either... they might have wifi that you can use for looking stuff up, but they are board game cafes, not so much generalized gaming cafes, at least here. but they could have them... i haven't looked into every one in my home town in depth. but again, i do know for certain that at least some of the boardgame cafes around here have at least some of those things you mentioned.

Ah I see it is a type of place I didn't even bother checking the name. I assumed it was a franchise type thing named Boardgame Cafe. Thanks again.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I could see a service of sorts....

GM listing by game type and how much it would cost for them to run a game maybe....a group could basically hire a gm then they, the group, don't need to worry abput one of them having to prep a game etc. Call it gm-on-call or something
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

:D :ok:
jaymz wrote:I could see a service of sorts....

GM listing by game type and how much it would cost for them to run a game maybe....a group could basically hire a gm then they, the group, don't need to worry abput one of them having to prep a game etc. Call it gm-on-call or something
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I know of a lady dungeon master that makes several hundred dollars an hour putting clients through various scenarios...
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

:lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I know of a lady dungeon master that makes several hundred dollars an hour putting clients through various scenarios...

ONG that took me a few...

So I hear it's closer to LARPing and she claims her weapon specialization is in whips and and her armor specialization is light, specifically leather, with skills in enhanced interrogation, palming and concealment. Something about hiding sausages and putting things in places where the sun doesnt shine. I hear her safetyword... whatever that is, is hitmeharder
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I know of a lady dungeon master that makes several hundred dollars an hour putting clients through various scenarios...
:D :lol: :-D :D :lol: not nice :badbad:
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

We have a system in my gaming group where the players pay for the GM's food if we do takeout, but the GM always makes a mudcake/brownies and offer insane ammounts of tea in return.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dunia wrote:We have a system in my gaming group where the players pay for the GM's food if we do takeout, but the GM always makes a mudcake/brownies and offer insane ammounts of tea in return.

What? That isn't a system. I thought that was universal RPG tradition called bribing the GM with food.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Would depend is the answer.

I mean I would, but your talking the same as an online game. Maybe $20 a month, and there has to be effort put into the game world, props...ect... There would also be the idea the GM has to push the game forward. When you're with friends, it can sometimes move away from the game with small talk, and so If I'm hiring a GM, I want a GM not a friend. That said, while I would be willing, I dont know many who would, but if I could be promised like 5-6 hours of play a week, with good effort into the game, yeah.

Brandon
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”