DriveThrou RPG

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Re: DriveThrou RPG

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

It really is to bad that PB will not publish PDF for many of it's titles. My eyeballs are not as good as the used to be. I cannot read small print anymore, and I also cannot drive legally anymore. Broken blood vessels in my eyes prevents it. This is one of the reasons why did not buy the new Manga format Robotech RPG books. No point in buying something I will never be able to read. A PDF would allow me to read some titles again, and I would rebuy them in PDF format. How would someone like me be able to Buy a Palladium product if it is not available in a way I can read??? I also do not want to destroy a book just to get an electronic version of it. I suspect that I am not the only one frustrates at the situation. Is there in anyone in the know that can address this issue???

Thank You!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

As it stands it's up to PB to get the ball rolling on more PDF titles. It's not that hard to do and even if they just make one book a week or even a month of their newer books it's still something. I just wish we as fans could impress on them that their not stopping piracy of their books. It's does the opposite imo. While losing extra income as well. Some may point to Wotc and say that they don't have their 5E books in PDF. Which is true. Except unlike PB Wotc has deep pockets. PB is financially struggling.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I hope a Preview of the next Rifter will be there.

Any chance you guys may add Aliens Unlimited:Galaxy Guide?
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I really wish it was up to me but it is not.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Just putting my opinions in the ring.

I would think it would be a wise decision to bundle a PDF with the physical copies. I've seen other game companies do this (two hour wargames did it with a copy of ATZ I bought at ColdWars one year). It would also be wise to also do PDF's of some of the older world books from the 90's to mid millennium as a PDF option too. People already did PDF scans of those so why can't PB make a coin off of it?

As for page format they can still do a lot of neat things with computer programing and still print out cheap source books (really that's one thing I like PB is that they can put out new source books without being $30+ to get the same amount of pages).

A little off topic but with RTT now in production Kevin needs to step up his game and catch up with other companies. He should delegate more people to editing and also maybe have other people in charge of other game lines to smooth en production and book turnaround. The saying "Too many hands in the kitchen" and "Doing to much at once" really plays into it.

I would also think it would ease Kevin's workload if he did that. From what I've heard he does too much as it is, and too much is not really healthy for a man of any age (seriously I would have heart pains if I had all that editing to do, and I'm only 22!).
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Well. I was wondering if Mysteries of Magic book was available in .pdf, but after reading this thread I guess not. It is so stupid that all these books are available to purchase in an electronic format. It doesn't have to be pdf it can be something else, just make it where I don't have to haul around a stack of books in my backpack to play a game. Seriously, I have a book shelf just dedicated to Palladium game system in my home.

It is nice when we got a few .pdf versions available not I can just have my tablet and have a lot less books to travel with.

I suppose I could use a service like the one Blue Leaf Book Scanning offers, but they destroy the book and it costs you twice as much to get a pdf version of the book.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I'll never understand complaints about having to carry books around.. I've always loved the sound of my huge backpack hitting the table when I take it off. When I joined the Navy, to get in shape I'd wear that backpack full of Palladium Books and ride my bike a mile to the park where I'd then jog a mile on the track. The last part of the third mile going home was up hill and it was a challenge, but it put me over the PT requirements before I got there...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I'm sorry MMM - I know you like having your bag of books. But I don't know about you, most gamers I know aren't in the service or even in their 20's. Most of them are Men in their 30+ who are over weight, and have a collection that can fill a small room. Toss in the number of books Palladium has that are all compatible in one way shape or form, you are carrying a library.

Library's = Back Breakers. I don't know about you, I'm trying not to hurt my body at my age.

Now toss in the Snob Factor. I don't know about you, but you probably never have been in a situation where you were ashamed of reading a RPG book out in the open. PDF's allow folks to read what they want, in any environment. Just like those folks who read Erotic Literature. 50 Shades of Gray wouldn't be nearly as popular if it wasn't for E-Books.

E-Books are what I want. If you want my money - produce e-books.
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

I prefer buying ebooks to regular novels and I like to have both for most of my rpgs, ebook/pdf to read, book for the shelf if it's something I collect.
That said pdfs would be enough for me of PB titles, I don't need to own physical copies of stuff that has the production value and Look (to me) of a student newspaper.
Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
While you were all arguing over the glass of water, I just drank it.

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
Sureshot
Champion

Total agreement with Tiree.

I also wish people would stop with "if it works for me it has to work for everyone else" routine. I used to lug all my PB around whenever I could when I was younger. That and overdoing weights nearly threw my back out. It's all good to say that one likes carrying books. I like to see pepole carry 20-30 books in one shot. Then come back and tell me it's easy to do. It's also a matter of space. I'm running out of space to store all my books of various kinds. My apartment can only take so much. Having both PDF and print format of PB inventory is not a bad thing. It allows access to PDf titles for those who legally want them. Makes more money for PB. It's a win-win situation. Before anyone tries the piracy argument. PB have and will be pirated. Whether they publish PDF copies or not. So really at this point it's not even a effect counter-argument against Pdfs imo. That ship has not only sailed. It grew warp engines and went into deep space. I will say this at least price wise PB Pdfs are decently priced. Compared to some in the hobby that try and charge the same that the print version costs.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

I would have killed to have PDF's of my library when I was in my teens and 20's... of course they didn't really exist in a usable format then.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

And another thing that sticks in my craw, and not just with Palladium but also with Indie Writers who disdain eBooks, is the "Extra Work" arguement. That is complete and utter horse-pucky. If you are already doing your assemblage on a computer it takes a minimal time investment to produce a concurrent digital product.
Last edited by Josh Hilden on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Sureshot
Champion

Josh Hilden wrote:And another thing that sticks in my craw, and not with Palladium but also with Indie Writers who disdain eBooks, is the "Extra Work" arguement. That is complete and utter horse-pucky. If you are already doing your assemblage on a computer it takes a minimal time investment to produce a concurrent digital product.

Are you kidding? Their are writers who actually complain about the extra work that goes into pdfs. All I can say is wow. It's not that hard. Get with the 21st century. Oh well less money for them.

Enlightened Grognard

Josh Hilden
Adventurer

It was worse a few years ago but yeah there is still an undercurrent, especially with older indie writers, that eBooks are a lesser format and if you're not a Paperback writer you're an amateur. But it's not as bad as it used to be.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
MADMANMIKE

Tiree wrote:I'm sorry MMM - I know you like having your bag of books. But I don't know about you, most gamers I know aren't in the service or even in their 20's. Most of them are Men in their 30+ who are over weight, and have a collection that can fill a small room. Toss in the number of books Palladium has that are all compatible in one way shape or form, you are carrying a library.

Library's = Back Breakers. I don't know about you, I'm trying not to hurt my body at my age.

Now toss in the Snob Factor. I don't know about you, but you probably never have been in a situation where you were ashamed of reading a RPG book out in the open. PDF's allow folks to read what they want, in any environment. Just like those folks who read Erotic Literature. 50 Shades of Gray wouldn't be nearly as popular if it wasn't for E-Books.

E-Books are what I want. If you want my money - produce e-books.

When I was doing that the newest RIFTS book was England; I had to mix in the Heroes and Fantasy books to fill the bag.

I'm 40 years old, and due to my accident in 2011, 18% total body disabled with two screws in my ankle, two plates in my hip and arthritis in my right foot. I'm about 35lbs overweight too.

I didn't say it's not painful, I was just pointing out "no pain, no gain".. I intend to live a very long healthy life, so I'm going to keep doing everything I can to get back in shape and stay fit. Moderation in all things, you have know your limits and push to them.. Then your body will learn to push past them, that's how it works.

It's an absurd argument to suggest that it's ever necessary to carry around ALL of the books that are compatible with each other. There's no way to run a game with that broad a set of source info in each session. Pick the books you will actually need..

And no, I've never been ashamed to read an RPG in public. Why should I be? RPGs are a big part of my life, I'm proud to have a hobby that promotes critical thinking, better reading skills, better social skills and creativity!

I'm very fortunate to have a day job now with a very casual dress code. I wear a Palladium shirt pretty much every day, and when it's under 60 I'm in my RIFTS Hoodie. Embarrassing? No, it's an opportunity to explain to people what they're missing out on.
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I think your missing the point. Many of us would find it more convenient to have them in pdf form. Some of us just don't have the room for all those books. It's easier for me to take my tablet out and read an RPG in my digital library than dragging a small stack of books. Better all in one than a bunch to carry.
Sureshot
Champion

Kryptt wrote:I think your missing the point. Many of us would find it more convenient to have them in pdf form. Some of us just don't have the room for all those books. It's easier for me to take my tablet out and read an RPG in my digital library than dragging a small stack of books. Better all in one than a bunch to carry.

Seconded.

Keep the print books. No one is saying get rid of them. For some having a pdf is easier to carry and takes less space. As much as PB can deny illegal versions are already on the market. It's easier and lighter to read them in a tablet. Beyond someone not liking to read in pdf format. I can see any minor or major disadvantage.

Enlightened Grognard

Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

It's just after awhile the excuses don't make any sense. I get it, when your a fan of something all you see is the positive, but if PB wants to get new customers going digital with hyperlinks would be productive. I have to say what some of these other gaming companies have done these last few years with digital products is immpressive.

DIGITAL PRODUCTS ARE NOT A FAD, NOR IS THE INTERNET.
MADMANMIKE

Kryptt wrote:I think your missing the point. Many of us would find it more convenient to have them in pdf form. Some of us just don't have the room for all those books. It's easier for me to take my tablet out and read an RPG in my digital library than dragging a small stack of books. Better all in one than a bunch to carry.

No I'm not missing the point, I'm addressing the argument that Tiree made suggesting that nobody wants to carry around a bunch of books.

You guys have been hammering on that same point for so long, that Palladium should change their business model and put all of their books in .pdf format. That's irrelevant to my post and the post I was clearly responding to..

Kryptt wrote:It's just after awhile the excuses don't make any sense. I get it, when your a fan of something all you see is the positive,

If that were true I would never have seen this thread...

Kryptt wrote: but if PB wants to get new customers going digital with hyperlinks would be productive.

I didn't say anything to the contrary of this...

Kryptt wrote:I have to say what some of these other gaming companies have done these last few years with digital products is immpressive.

I can't speak to that, nor see it's relevance to my stated opinion..

Kryptt wrote:DIGITAL PRODUCTS ARE NOT A FAD, NOR IS THE INTERNET.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to yell this.. Nobody at Palladium has ever suggested that Digital products or the Internet were a fad.. that's bordering on libel...
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Woah! Dude relax. I get it you have a medical issue and it might be why you took it as an offence. No need to feel attacked. Just exercising my right to post my opinion. It's no biggie. No need to attack me pal. :bandit:

Warning: No need to make comments about another poster of that nature either.

Moving on if PB could get the robotech book, macross SB, and and the RRT book on pdf it would be great. I've had the RRT book for a few weeks now and it's starting to wear out. I've been highlighting the rules and other relavent info. So yeah it's getting a good workout.lol

So if PB ever joins the rest of us in the 21st century I'd happily buy their digital products. As of now when wave two comes out I'm about done. If PB runs another ks for the next two eras of RT I'm on the fence. The last 18 months of dealing with some of the double talk and other issues hasn't been pleasant.
Sureshot
Champion

Ultimately if PB does not offer it's library of books in pdf the fan who want that format spend money elsewhere. I still like books yet I too am thinking of going mostly pdf. Companies that offer me the formats I want get my money. Those that do not get nothing. I'm not losing out.

It's funny because with Wotc offering pdfs of their older products my lgs is losing money on their used section. At least on D&D .They used to be decently priced. A popular third edition book was 15-20 used. A less popular one 5-10$. Now they got greedy and a popular one is 25-30. A less popular 15-20. When a store sells a used copy of the 3E Forgotten Realms campaign setting for 30$. When it's cheaper online. It makes no sense imo. Seeing stuff like that I'm also feeling less loyal to my lgs. I may just go completely online for new rpg product. Only use them for used.

Enlightened Grognard

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Again MMM - if PB wants my money* - Produce E-Books

You are very lucky to not have an issue with the Snob Factor. I am not sure if you ever heard of the dark days of RPG's. Where folks were murdered, and they contributed it to D&D. I still remember hearing on the radio that some kid had murdered his family 10 years earlier because of the "Beserker" and the "Beserker" made him do it. It happened to be his character in D&D.

I'm sorry - he killed his whole family. There has to be another explanation. But the mentality that RPG's are dangerous was still prevalent into the early 2000's. It isn't till recently and the influx of RPG Video Games that it's become more common place. But even then, when you crack open an RPG book and it has a scantily clad person in it. You betchya that I'm going to be a bit gun shy in letting someone peer over my shoulder. Sexual Harassment is rampant all over the place.

Your lucky - enjoy that factor. What works for you, does not work for everyone. Especially me.

So to paraphrase Rod Tidwell "Show me the PDF's!"

*That is if they want it on a regular basis of me purchasing all their books. Otherwise I may or may not purchase a book that I want
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Sureshot wrote:Total agreement with Tiree.

I also wish people would stop with "if it works for me it has to work for everyone else" routine. I used to lug all my PB around whenever I could when I was younger. That and overdoing weights nearly threw my back out. It's all good to say that one likes carrying books. I like to see pepole carry 20-30 books in one shot. Then come back and tell me it's easy to do. It's also a matter of space. I'm running out of space to store all my books of various kinds. My apartment can only take so much. Having both PDF and print format of PB inventory is not a bad thing. It allows access to PDf titles for those who legally want them. Makes more money for PB. It's a win-win situation. Before anyone tries the piracy argument. PB have and will be pirated. Whether they publish PDF copies or not. So really at this point it's not even a effect counter-argument against Pdfs imo. That ship has not only sailed. It grew warp engines and went into deep space. I will say this at least price wise PB Pdfs are decently priced. Compared to some in the hobby that try and charge the same that the print version costs.

No kidding....you can find every book available in a torrent or some other source that is pirated.

I'm just looking to get a legal copy and see that PB gets paid for their work. So that they can continue to make the products that I love. Palladium please just sell electronic versions of your books and stop living in the Stone Age.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer

I don't understand why anyone would advocate ONLY paperback or ONLY eBooks.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Lukterran wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Total agreement with Tiree.

No kidding....you can find every book available in a torrent or some other source that is pirated.

I'm just looking to get a legal copy and see that PB gets paid for their work. So that they can continue to make the products that I love. Palladium please just sell electronic versions of your books and stop living in the Stone Age.

As I've said before - I have 3 players, plus my GM, that have 90% pirate/illegal PDFs of PB products, mostly the RIFTS line. I have 2 books, and the only reason I even have that is desperation: I *love* the Atlantis book & my 1st ed is dog-eared & sorry. I have a new copy from GrabBag 2012? And huzzah! But that's for those players who occasionally need to look at it - not my repeated use. The other is the original RMB or RUE (I've used it once).
I would happily buy gradual replacement of my books in a PDF or ePUB format, pricing close to hard copy. I have 1 book case that I have brimming over w/ PB products, dice, a few WotC books & some gaming aids. *I have no more room for gaming books*
I'm 41, been playing since 88 or 89 (TMNT & RIFTS 1st ed). I keep moving for various reasons, and paper-books are HEAVY MoFos. If I can both save space & save my back whether weekly or the not-quite-annual moving, awesome!!

But the books are out there. They aren't going anywhere. The question is: Will Palladium Books *ADAPT* to the needs of their *aging* current fans and the requirements of their potential *NEW* fans? Games Workshop dragged their feet to put any of their codexes in electronic format. Once they did, they chose iBooks only. Every time a new book for Warhammer Fantasy came out, or a painting/scenery book, I would call up GW US & let them know that they lost my money b/c I don't have an iPad. I have an Android, and would happily give my $.
They are working on the End-Times story/army line, and what do you know? The books are available as EPUBs, for at least half-off the hard copy price. Much easier to find something via keyword on a tablet when there is a rules question/challenge than flipping through a book - one which you have to deface by highlighting or margin-notating to ease said searches. Many of the older books that I know were originally iBook-only, are now available as EPUB & some as MOBI (which may be iBook format).
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”